• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Help to find Henry Simmons

Hi everyone

I have been researching my family tree for a few months now and have come to a dead end. I need some help!

My mum and sister have tried to find information on my grandfather Henry Simmons, but have been unable to find a birth certificate for him. They paid for a search and it came up empty. He also had a brother called William Simmons (known as Bill) and a brother called Thomas Owen. I don't know their dates of birth. I believe they were all born in London, as most of my family are from there.

The information I know is: His birthday was 16th June and he died on 14th March 1955 aged 66? My mum registered the death and that is how old she thought he was. His mother's name was Florence Henrietta ? but we think she was unmarried and he may have been registered with a different surname and later adopted by my great grandmothers husband.

When she died my great grandmother was Florence Henrietta Hammond. She died on 10th July 1940 in Poplar, London (this is accurate as my mum has the death certificate). The problem that I have is that we don't know what name she was born with and that she may have married several times. It appears that she was Florence Simmons at the time of this marriage, but I can find no record of her previous marriage to anyone called Simmons. I believe she was born around 1858/1859.

My aunt has said that my grandfather Henry was illegitimate and may have been the result of her being raped while in service.

On my grandmother and grandfathers marriage certificate his father is named as Albert Alfred Simmons, which I don't think is right as I can't seem to find him either. I have found an Albert James Simmons which could be him, but I'm grasping at straws.

I hope someone can throw some light on this. I am really scratching my head now! Any help would be gratefully received.

If you need any more info, I will give you what I have got.

I hope this is not too much of a muddle!

Thanks

Julie Morris