• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help with dating photo please

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of the era of this photo. It has a family surname on the back but the problem is three females in my family married three male members of another family all ending up with the same married surname.

Is it possible to determine whether this photo was taken before or after around 1895?
The families were all farmers and/or tradesmen in rural Victoria, Australia (if that helps).
There are no marks on the back (or anywhere else except for the family's surname written on the back), or a photographers name. The photo paper seems quite flimsy/thin.

I've tried searching for similar dresses worn by the woman without any luck though the waistcoats worn by the man may be an indicator, as may be the boots worn by the children and the dress worn by the girl.

Other family members are also eager to find out how these people are related to them also. Sorry for the poor quality.

Any ideas greatly accepted!
Thanks
Marilyn

Attachments

gaelwyn

Valued Member
Hi Marilyn,

I have a family photograph with similar poses and clothing which was taken about 1898.
The girls had white collars on their black dresses and their father was dressed similar to the man in your photo.
I know not much to go with, but hope it helps a little :rolleyes:

Thanks for your responses.
1898 - 1900 would fit one family though the suggestion that it could date to pre WW1 means it could be another.
I was able to preclude the third family as I found one couple only had one child before separating.

The remark about the hands is interesting though as these sort of genetic qualities can often be passed down.

Very frustrating!
Thanks everyone :)

Marilyn

Not as far as I know but I haven't researched this branch thoroughly as they're relatives by marriage (3 of them!)

I'm just trying to find out about the photo as relatives would like to know for sure.

Stephen How (no 'e') born about 1756 marr Lydia Betsy Deller
Their son Thomas Howe born 07 Jul 1799 marr Keziah Smith with 8 known children.
One of their sons Simeon Howe born 22 Jul 1832 marr Mary Maria Smith with 14 known children.

If any of that matches please let me know.redf)