• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help with Great Grandads WW1 records

Good morning everyone hope all are OK today. I have been researching my family tree on and of for over 10 years now. But this is the first time I have used a forum for anything so may need a little help.

Any way I am trying to find some more information out about my great granddad. His name was Alfred Childs, he was born about 1895. I have his wedding certificate which shows he got married on 17th August 1918 at the registry office Tonbridge Kent. it has his age as 23, but it also has under his rank/proffesion. 240307 Pte, R CO 5, Royal Sussex Regiment.

The problem I have is I have searched on Ancestry.com for a his name his regiment and his number and can not find any info out about him during the war. Would be really good if someone out there could help me in finding some more information out many thanks for reading this Nick Blackwell

gibbo

Loyal Member
This is the only medal card i can find with that name and regiment. See what you think

Reference:WO 372/4/813842
Description:
Medal card of Child, Alfred
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Sussex Regiment Private
Labour Corps 670787 Private

Not sure if the link will work or not :confused:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D1783946

Also a lot of military records were destroyed with bombings from ww2.

Records destroyed
Unfortunately, more than half of their service records were destroyed in September 1940, when a German bombing raid struck the War Office repository in Arnside Street, London. However, an estimated 2.8 million service records survived the bombing or were reconstructed from the records of the Glossary - opens new windowMinistry of Pensions. This means that there is a roughly 40% chance of finding the service record of a soldier who was discharged at some time between 1914 and 1920.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/service_records/sr_soldiers.htm

We have some members who are good with military queries so hopefully someone might be able to help or advice you further.

Hi thanks for the reply I have find that one before but the numbers don't match so was unsure if it was him or not as I thought the army number stayed with you during the time you were in the army but I probably have this wrong many thanks again for the help

Hi, new on here and you feed came up on a google search. My Great grandad was in the Sussex regiment, but this became the middlesex regiment and he was given a new Regimental number so we have 2 numbers for him.....this could be the same for you............