• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help with Great Grandparents

gibbo

Loyal Member
Just posting for reference if anyone else has a look it might help.

England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005
Chase Avis
Tonbridge, Kent, England
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
Great Britain
Chase Avis
1914-20
----------------------------------------------------------------
1939 Register
Chase Avis 1888
Malling R.D., Kent, England
------------------------------------------------------------------
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Chase Avis
YOB 1890
YOD 1942
Maidstone, Kent, England

solidrock2

Loyal Member
Hi all

I have been doing my family tree and have hit a wall and cant seem to get any further, im not overly experienced at this family research but have a few details but to no avail cant find any more.

My Great grandmother was Evelyn Minnie (Eva) Martin born 2Q 1894, Pancras according to the birth index record. She married Chase Avis in 4Q in 1913, Tunbridge, Kent, My grandmother was her first child, Minnie Evelyn born 1913 and according to her birth record, marriage record Avis was her surname but i have been told by a family member that she was born out of wedlock and took Chase's name after her mother married. I can find marriage records and 1939 census for Chase and also a death record but no sign of a birth record, he died at around the age of 52 in Kent and his birthdate according to records i have found so far seem to point to Nov 1888.

They had 5 other children and lived at Hawkwell Farm, Pembury, Kent as farmworkers.
Children are as follows
Harry Chase Avis 1915-1931
Violet I Avis 1921-2007
Jack Avis 1922-1989
Joan Avis 1927-1986
Eric Avis 1929-1996.

As i said my fathers mother was Minnie Evelyn born 1913 in Kent but family are unsure as to whether Chase was her biological father or not. The birth record i have found for Minnie only states her mothers maiden name and cant seem to find any other details. Is there any way i could find out if her birth was illegitimate or whether she was just born out of wedlock and Chase is her biological father?

Any help or tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated :)
There's no mention of Chase on his GRO record...
AVIS, HARRY MARTIN
GRO Reference: 1915 J Quarter in TONBRIDGE Volume 02A Page 1550

I found the report on the newspaper archive on Harry Chase Avis about an accident with a toy pistol that led to his death due to tetanus and asphyxia at the age of 16 both his parents were named in that as Chase and Eva Martin from Hawkwell farm, Pembury. On a census it lists their professions as market garden heavy worker and farm worker

gibbo

Loyal Member
There's no mention of Chase on his GRO record...
AVIS, HARRY MARTIN
GRO Reference: 1915 J Quarter in TONBRIDGE Volume 02A Page 1550
Keith this is the part of the articles on his death .. so at some stage they included Chase in his name.

Published: Friday 16 October 1931
Newspaper: Kent & Sussex Courier
County: Kent, England
.......15-year-old boy was told inquest held by the Coroner (Mr. A. '® ) the Pembnry Institution Saturday on Harry Chase Avis, of Hawkwell Farm, Pembury. The accident occurred on Sunday, September 27th, and Avis was admitted to hospital on Friday ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newspaper: Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser
YOUTH’S TRAGIC DEATH. - The funeral of Harry Chase Avis, the 16-yetf* old son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Avis, of Hawkwell Farm, whose tragic death at Pembury is reported on another...

gibbo

Loyal Member
Slight spelling error in the below Avia instead of Avis. Again i cant get the whole article up.

Newspaper: Kent & Sussex Courier
The wound bled slightly and after applying iodine it was bound up by the hop-pickers. Chase Avia, of Hawkwell Farm, Pembury, father of the boy, said his son’s work consisted of tending to and driving horses and cleaning the stables. After ...

gibbo

Loyal Member
I found this article as well which might help to narrow Chase's mother.

So it states Mother-in-law in the below article, wonder if that will help to find the name of chase's mother.

Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 04 April 1919
Eva Martin alias Avis, Priory Walk, Tonbridge, was summoned for committing a disorderly act, at Hadlow ..............
etc etc
Defendant said she gave a wrong name and address because her mother- in-law was laying dead at home. Her correct name was Eva Avis. etc

The only death i can find for a AVIS in that time frame that seems to fit is this one.

Deaths Jun quarter 1919
Avis Emily J aged 56 Tonbridge 2a 845

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
I found this article as well which might help to narrow Chase's mother.

So it states Mother-in-law in the below article, wonder if that will help to find the name of chase's mother.

Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 04 April 1919
Eva Martin alias Avis, Priory Walk, Tonbridge, was summoned for committing a disorderly act, at Hadlow ..............
etc etc
Defendant said she gave a wrong name and address because her mother- in-law was laying dead at home. Her correct name was Eva Avis. etc

The only death i can find for a AVIS in that time frame that seems to fit is this one.

Deaths Jun quarter 1919
Avis Emily J aged 56 Tonbridge 2a 845
I cant into the newspapers again, i was looking for the date of the offence, it should be noted somewhere in the article, when looking for a death for her mother in law i went by the date the article was printed when i should have gone by the date Eva offended. The dates could mean a lot when trying to find the right death.

gibbo

Loyal Member
If Eva got into trouble in March this could be the death of her mother in law, which is why the date of the offence is important so we know whether to check the March quarter or June quarter for death reg.

Deaths Mar quarter 1919
AVIS Sarah 53 Tonbridge 2a 1459

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Working off of everyone’s hard work here we go.

Birth registration:

1888 Tunbridge
Chase Chapman
M quarter
Vol 02A
Page 703

Capel Kent
Sub district Brenchley
Registration district Tonbridge

Sarah Chapman age 36 born Hadlow Kent
Charles son age 6 born Hadlow
Elizabeth daughter age 11 born Hadlow
Ellen daughter age 8 born Hadlow
Chase son age 14 born Hadlow
Alice daughter age 1 born Malling
Alfred Avis age 26 born Crowborough Sussex

Schedule no 44
Page 7

Working off of everyone’s hard work here we go.

Birth registration:

1888 Tunbridge
Chase Chapman
M quarter
Vol 02A
Page 703

Capel Kent
Sub district Brenchley
Registration district Tonbridge

Sarah Chapman age 36 born Hadlow Kent
Charles son age 6 born Hadlow
Elizabeth daughter age 11 born Hadlow
Ellen daughter age 8 born Hadlow
Chase son age 14 born Hadlow
Alice daughter age 1 born Malling
Alfred Avis age 26 born Crowborough Sussex

Schedule no 44
Page 7
Wow thanks for your input, definately worth looking into that, As Sarah seemed to be working as a housekeeper for Alfred Avis could be that Chase just took his name maybe?