• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help with Great Grandparents

Following on from Julie's find, this 1891 census is interesting. Chase is noted as son to the head of the household, John Underhill. Elizabeth is noted as daughter.

1891 census
Name: Chase Chapman
Event Place: Hadlow, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original): Hadlow, Kent, England
Event Place Note: Carpenters Lane
County: Kent
Parish: Hadlow
Ecclesiastical Parish: ST MARYS
Enumeration District: 13
Registration District: Tunbridge
Birth Year (Estimated): 1888
Birthplace: Kent, England
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Page Number: 1
Registration Number: RG12
Piece/Folio: 682/ 80
Affiliate Record Type: Household
Affiliate Image Identifier: GBC/1891/0682/0159&parentid=GBC/1891/0005577780

John Underhill Head Male 32 Kent, England
Sarah Chapman Housekeeper Female 26 Kent, England
Chase Chapman Son Male 3 Kent, England
Elizabeth Chapman Daughter Female 1 Kent, England

1911 uk census

Alfred Avis Head Male 36 Withyham, Sussex
Sarah Chapman Housekeeper Female 45 Hadlow, Kent
Ellen Chapman Daughter Female 17 Hadlow, Kent
Charles Chapman Son Female 15 Hadlow, Kent .. [FS has a error noting Charles as Female :oops:]
Alice Chapman Daughter Female 12 Hadlow, Kent
Louisa Chapman Daughter Female 10 Capel, Kent

Last edited:
Yes I have been looking into it and I think that's probably the case which is why I hit a brick wall, thanyou all so much for all your help with this, it's been frustrating me for months ❤

Going by the 1891 census it would appear that John Underhill could possibly be Chase's father??
You DNA will be interesting to see if there is any connection to a Underhill family somewhere.

Umm this is interesting. I have just been digging around on John Underhill and found this. So with John Underhill stating on the census that Chase is a son, so was your Chase maybe named after his uncle??

Published: Friday 12 March 1880
Newspaper: Kent & Sussex Courier
County: Kent, England
the Tonbridge Petty Sessions, Tuesday last, John Underhill, Chase Underhill, and William Gardener, labourers, Hadlow, were summoned for being drunk and disorderly, at Hadlow, on the 20th February —John Underhill failed to attend, and service of summons was ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published: Friday 02 August 1935
Newspaper: Kent & Sussex Courier
County: Kent, England
SUDDEN DEATH— The death occurred *denly the Pembury Institution on ■f—ciaV of Mr. Chase Underhill, of ; stupbourue-road, Tonbridge, aged 74. 'acts were reported the Coroner, ■ o deemed an inquest unnecessary

I was told by my aunt that her grandfather Chase wadnt very old when he died but the family story was that the death was accidental and something to do with an army truck

Not sure if you want all this information but its keeping me amused :eek:

1871 uk census
Jas Underhill Head Male 60 Seal, Kent
Ann Underhill Wife Female 46 Brenchley, Kent
John Underhill Son Male 14 Hadlow, Kent
Chase Underhill Son Male 11 Hadlow, Kent
Rosanna Underhill Daughter Female 8 Hadlow, Kent
Stephen Underhill Son Male 3 Hadlow, Kent

I was told by my aunt that her grandfather Chase wadnt very old when he died but the family story was that the death was accidental and something to do with an army truck

1942 and i havent been able to find any notices in the newspapers on his death. His death cert. would state cause of death.

Not sure if you want all this information but its keeping me amused :eek:

1871 uk census
Jas Underhill Head Male 60 Seal, Kent
Ann Underhill Wife Female 46 Brenchley, Kent
John Underhill Son Male 14 Hadlow, Kent
Chase Underhill Son Male 11 Hadlow, Kent
Rosanna Underhill Daughter Female 8 Hadlow, Kent
Stephen Underhill Son Male 3 Hadlow, Kent

You are being really helpful in helping me to try and get to the bottom if all this it's great and certainly you can never get too much information ?

1942 and i havent been able to find any notices in the newspapers on his death. His death cert. would state cause of death.

I also had a look for notices but couldn't find anything, family hearsay is a bit like chinese whispers ? my dad told me years ago that he didn't know his grandfather which is why I felt that the dates fitted with what I found on Chase as my dad was born in 1944

The hadlow mentions are interesting as that's the mention in the article on Eva giving false info after her police altercation

I found this article as well which might help to narrow Chase's mother.

So it states Mother-in-law in the below article, wonder if that will help to find the name of chase's mother.

Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 04 April 1919
Eva Martin alias Avis, Priory Walk, Tonbridge, was summoned for committing a disorderly act, at Hadlow ..............
etc etc
Defendant said she gave a wrong name and address because her mother- in-law was laying dead at home. Her correct name was Eva Avis. etc

The only death i can find for a AVIS in that time frame that seems to fit is this one.

Deaths Jun quarter 1919
Avis Emily J aged 56 Tonbridge 2a 845

I looked up the article in the Kent & Sussex Courier as i still had 1 free view left. It turns out she was drunk and singing rather loudly in the company of a couple of soldiers, when approached by the police who had asked her to quieten down she said she would not and it would take a better man than him to stop her o_O She gave the wrong name and address which caused problems for the summons to be served but after tracking her down her excuse was that she had given a false name and address becuase her mother was laying dead at home. After further questioning she announced that "she had 3 children at home and had been separated from her husband for the last 3 years and he was in the army in the occupation of Germany"

They married in 1913 and he joined the army in 1914 and they separated in 1916. After looking this afternoon at this Chapman, Underhill and Avis link it does seem highly possible that Underhill was the biological father, his birth record on Ancestry lists him as Chase Chapman 1888 in Tonbridge and after looking up John Underhill and his brother Chase Underhill it seems they lived a pretty colourful illegal way of life in the form of Larceny so maybe Chase (my great grandfather) took the name Avis on when Alfred Avis came into their lives.

A bit of food for thought and a bit more investigation it seems :unsure::unsure:

A possible for Chase in 1911.

Horsmonden Kent
Registration district Tonbridge
Sub district Brenchley
RG14
Page no 1
Piece/Folio 337

Harry Towner
Ellen Jane Towner
Chare (as transcribed by familysearch) Underhill - age 23 - boarder - farm labourer- born Hadlow

A possible for Chase in 1911.

Horsmonden Kent
Registration district Tonbridge
Sub district Brenchley
RG14
Page no 1
Piece/Folio 337

Harry Towner
Ellen Jane Towner
Chare (as transcribed by familysearch) Underhill - age 23 - boarder - farm labourer- born Hadlow

Thanks Julie, this also seem a possibility :)

Back