• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Help with old photo.

calliek

I found the photo in my dad's stuff- it's identified as great great grandmother Lawrance and it's in my dad's hand writing but he doesn't recall writing it and can't actually identify the people.

I'm doubtful it is my father's g x2 grandmother- the furthest I've gone back in the Lawrance line are his great grandparents, William H Lawrance b 1828 Ipswich and his wife Ellen Quinton b 1847 Hemingstoke and the photo doesn't appear to be that old.

The stamp on the photo identifies the photographer as Adolphus Tear

I found this online:
TEAR, Adolphus
5 Westgate Street, Ipswich

KS1900, TC1901, KS1904, KI1906, IDT1906/7, KS1908, KI1909, KI1910, KI1912, KS1912, KI1913, KI1914, KI1915, KS1916, AS1916, KI1918

David Gobbitt reports that Edward Adolphus Tear was born in India in 1862, moved to London in the mid-70s, and was recorded by the 1881 census as a photographer, aged 18, in Wimbledon. By 1901 Tear's main home seems to have been in West London, where he had a studio at 42 High Street, Notting Hill Gate. He died in 1925.

The Ipswich studio - formerly occupied by George Beales (q.v.) - appears, in later years, to have been run by managers. The business bearing Tear's name continued for some years after his death; during the Second World War it was located at 2 The Walk and was run by Arthur Leslie White (q.v.).

The photo I have gives both the Nottinghill and Ipswich address so I think this photo was likely taken sometime in the early 1900's but I can't be certain. Is there any way to see if the former was around prior to 1901? Or when the Ipswich studio began? I'm trying to narrow the time frame this photo could have been taken. Any other thoughts with regards to clothing etc also welcome.