• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help with old photo.

calliek

I found the photo in my dad's stuff- it's identified as great great grandmother Lawrance and it's in my dad's hand writing but he doesn't recall writing it and can't actually identify the people.

I'm doubtful it is my father's g x2 grandmother- the furthest I've gone back in the Lawrance line are his great grandparents, William H Lawrance b 1828 Ipswich and his wife Ellen Quinton b 1847 Hemingstoke and the photo doesn't appear to be that old.

The stamp on the photo identifies the photographer as Adolphus Tear

I found this online:
TEAR, Adolphus
5 Westgate Street, Ipswich

KS1900, TC1901, KS1904, KI1906, IDT1906/7, KS1908, KI1909, KI1910, KI1912, KS1912, KI1913, KI1914, KI1915, KS1916, AS1916, KI1918

David Gobbitt reports that Edward Adolphus Tear was born in India in 1862, moved to London in the mid-70s, and was recorded by the 1881 census as a photographer, aged 18, in Wimbledon. By 1901 Tear's main home seems to have been in West London, where he had a studio at 42 High Street, Notting Hill Gate. He died in 1925.

The Ipswich studio - formerly occupied by George Beales (q.v.) - appears, in later years, to have been run by managers. The business bearing Tear's name continued for some years after his death; during the Second World War it was located at 2 The Walk and was run by Arthur Leslie White (q.v.).

The photo I have gives both the Nottinghill and Ipswich address so I think this photo was likely taken sometime in the early 1900's but I can't be certain. Is there any way to see if the former was around prior to 1901? Or when the Ipswich studio began? I'm trying to narrow the time frame this photo could have been taken. Any other thoughts with regards to clothing etc also welcome.

If I found the right William, his mother was Mary born 1798 (from 1841 census) If you say the lady standing was Mary and she was about 50/5 the photo would have been taken about 1850/5. The first real photo was taken around 1839 But his does not seem to fit the other information.

If the standing lady was about 50 and was William's wife Ellen who was born 1847*.. (*if this is correct, as William was a good deal older) the photo would have been taken around 1900. This I think is more feasible. was the younger seated lady, a daughter of William and Ellen aged about 30 (1870 ish)

dave

calliek

Thanks Dave!

I can't confirm William's mother as Mary. I've not done much work on this line as I said but I have the marriage between William and Ellen Quinton - does this line up with your info?

groom's name: William Henry Lawrance
groom's birth date:
groom's birthplace:
groom's age:
bride's name: Ellen Quinton
bride's birth date:
bride's birthplace:
bride's age:
marriage date: 12 Jan 1874
marriage place: St. Stephen'S, Lewisham, Kent, England
groom's father's name: James Lawrance
groom's mother's name:
bride's father's name: Daniel Quinton
bride's mother's name:
groom's race:
groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status:
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: I01202-5
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 994177
reference number: item 3 p 65

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment regarding which generation this photo could possibly but I have a suspicion that it's not either of these ladies.
Ellen Quinton and William only had 2 sons (William James b 1875 and George Henry - my ggrandfather- b 1877) William H died in 1878, Ellen remarried in 1880 to Thomas Smith and had two daughters Ethel b 1882 and Florence b 1885.

If the above photo was taken in the early 1900's, it could either be Ellen and one of the daughters, or the two women could be the sisters- it's hard to tell an age from this image.

calliek

leefer

Loyal Member
The way the photo has been cut maybe a slim chance that the photographer just framed the photo...looks a little strange the way it has been cut and seemingly stuck on....maybe someone in the family put the photo in the frame:confused:

The frame dosn't seem to go with the photo to me....if you get my meaning.

Never the less it is a great old photo...love seeing them.

calliek

Leefer it's not a frame, the photo is definitely mounted to it and it looks original. I removed the whole thing from a vintage frame as one piece and the photo doesn't look like it's been touched- it's in remarkable shape!

Julie, that does look like the right era of dress! 1870 doesn't seem to work with the photographer tho. Puzzling...

calliek

Hadn't thought of that, but I suppose it's possible.

1870's would mean it could be Ellen Quinton and her mother- the last name wouldn't be Lawrance of course (and I'm not even certain of a first name for her mother either). More research needed...

This is a photo of George H Lawrance, Ellen's son from about 1907 for comparison

ATear

I'm a descendant of Edward Adolphus Tear. I have a box full of these photos. I don't know whether this feed is still monitored but it's interesting to see more of his photographs. If anyone is interested in