• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Help with the surname Pullen

Hello,

I have been trying to research the grandparents of my grandfather.

I have this so far :-

William Robert Pullen (my Grandfather)
Born 1907 February
Birth Place Kent Deptford

James Thomas Pullen married to Elizabeth also known as Bessie ( my Grandfathers Parents)

James Thomas Pullen
Born 1866
Birth Place Bermondsey

Elizabeth Pullen - maiden name Beisley ?
Born 1868
Birth Place Walworth

Now this is where I get stuck my grandfathers grandparents.

Thomas Pullen married to Emma ( surname possibly Howes, Homes it is very hard to read on the birth certificate of Thomas James Pullen). There is also something else written in the column which looks like late and then something else.

Thomas Pullen
Born 1835
Birth Place Milborne Port Somerset

I can only trace a Thomas Pullen marrying an Emma in Somerset but the surname that comes up is Snook. Also not really sure if this is what I am looking for as no one in the family thinks we have links with Somerset.

I have got a lot of the information from the Census records but keep struggling with Thomas Pullen and Emma Pullen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Karen

On the 1871 census Thomas 34 born Somerset is with wife Emma 37, Elizabeth 13, Alice 7, Thomas 5 Eliza 3 and Rose 1. All but Thomas snr were born in Surrey, 1881 gives them born Bermondsey, Thomas born Milbourne Port Somerset

I have not found the marriage yet

It may help if we could see the certificate, but you cannot attach this until you have made three posts and you user name turns green

dave

Looking up Thomas from Milborne Port, on the 1851 census he is at home with his parents John and Elizabeth
In 1861 (Thos) aged 23, he is a lodger in Bermondsey. It looks as if he is still single but it's a bad image.

I suspect, he married (if he did) between 1861 and 1865. Emma Snook married 1850 when Thomas was 14, single and at home, so I doubt she is the Emma we are looking for.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

A Thomas Pullen married a Emma Meadows widow 10 Aug 1879 - Church in the parish of St James the Great Bethnal Green - maiden name Howes - father Charles Howes deceased. Thomas's occupation at time of marriage is leather dresser - father John deceased.

Hi,

A Thomas Pullen married a Emma Meadows widow 10 Aug 1879 - Church in the parish of St James the Great Bethnal Green - maiden name Howes - father Charles Howes deceased. Thomas's occupation at time of marriage is leather dresser - father John deceased.
Thank you the words on the birth certificate could be Meadows. It definately says Emma Pullen late Meadows (possibly) formerly Howes.

The information you have found is there a site you can recommend.

I have now got some more info and thank you all for your help. Emma's surname on the birth certificate of Alice born Feb 1864 was "late Meadows formerly Homes. I will now search these surnames. I am thinking the marriage mentioned below may not be connected as the births of the children doesn't seem to fit. Thank you for your answers to my question it has really helped.

I feel a small part of the brick wall has been broken.:)

Marriages Dec 1857
Howes Emma Lambeth 1d 597
Meadows Henry Lambeth 1d 597

------------------------------------------
Name:
Emma Meadows

Estimated birth year:

Spouse's Name:
Henry H Meadows

Where born:
London, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: