• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

help

tim

hi everyone got a little stuck :mad: on this one.

i was searching the 1881 census and found a great uncle i didnt know about
it said that he was a soilder aged 18 in the hunts military lodging in a house in huntingdon i then searched the 1891 census but couldent find him :'( i then searched the 1901 census and found him with a family living in a village called stelling minnis in kent, his name is william barnett he was born 1863 in
hailweston huntingdon his wifes name is louisa second name unknown born 1862 edwardstone suffolk they had four children the first was sybil barnett
born 1892 in wraysbury buckinghamshire the second child named dorothy barnett born 1895 folkstone kent the third child named william barnett born
1897 broadlees west dover kent and the last child named ivy barnett born 1898 folkstone kent. i have searched for the marriage but no luck and i have searched for all the children but no luck :confused: does anyone have any suggestions where to go next? pleaseeeeeeeee

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Tim,

I've had a look on the partial bmd index but the Ancestry site started playing up. You could try Findymypast as the births and marriage could be in the overseas bmd seeing that William was in the army

tim

Hi Tim,

Found a birth for a William Walter Barnett year 1897 Jan/Feb/Mar 1/4 district Dover county Kent

Vol 2a
Page 1010
hi
i sent for that certificate for william walter, the year and location are correct
the mothers name was different it was annie not louisa and the farthers occupation was wrong it said he was a farm labour not solider as the 1901 census said, any suggestions ?

tim

tim

Hi Tim,

I've had a look on the partial bmd index but the Ancestry site started playing up. You could try Findymypast as the births and marriage could be in the overseas bmd seeing that William was in the army
i searched the army births and marriages and deaths on find my past but no
luck, i had the buckinghamshire archives search for the first childs birth in wraysbury but they couldnt find it.

tim

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Tim,

Could there be a possibilty that the parents never married and the children were under the mothers maiden name?

I had a look through 1871/81 census for a Louisa born Edwardstone and the only one that came up was a Louisa Lord but she married a FW Gibbons and they are together on the 1901 census.

Will have another look.

tim

Hi Tim,

Could there be a possibilty that the parents never married and the children were under the mothers maiden name?

I had a look through 1871/81 census for a Louisa born Edwardstone and the only one that came up was a Louisa Lord but she married a FW Gibbons and they are together on the 1901 census.

Will have another look.
i did find a louisa death on the international igi born on the correct date and in edwardstone suffolk but never found her married certificate to william.
barnett. the strange thing is that the certificate i recieved for the son william barnett born in dover it said the mothers name was annie which was wrong but it had her second name as death same as the louisa i found could they be the same? but the farthers occupation is wrong.

tim

Hi Tim,

Just a thought. What about parish registers for the childrens baptisms?

i ask buckinghamshire archives to look up sybil barnett but they couldent find her in wraysbury , i travelled down to canturbury archives to look for dorothy
barnett, i did find a dorothy annie it was the right place but two years out
and the mother was again this annie not louisa and the farthers occupation was a farm lab not a soldier.:confused:

thanks for everyones help its most appriciated

tim

great news everyone O0 i managed to track down the marriage of william barnett and louisa.

louisa kember married william barnett in 1887 in the parish of river in the county of kent, i still have not been able too find the first child sybil barnett
born in wrasysbury in 1892 but this is a great start.

all i can say is stick with it guys and gals it does pay off in the end:) O0

tim.