• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Help!

I cannot find any info on my great grandfather before his marriage.
He is William Alexander Leonard, born 1869, I think in London or Kent but not entirely sure. He married Louisa Smith in 1888 at the age of 20 in Grimsby. He was a trawler skipper in Grimsby and died at sea in 1915.
On the 1901 census I have his wife, eldest son (also WA Leonard) and his father John, a retired engineer age 74, born in Manchester.
The only John Leonard I have been able to match to him is John Leonard, b1826, Hulme, Manchester. He married Ann Bostock in 1847 and in 1861 they are living in Greenwich, London right up until 1881. But they don't have a son called William Alexander! They have two sons named Frederick on the 1871 census which I find strange!
I have searched the BMD for just about every county and cannot find a William Alexander Leonard at all. He also does not appear on any census return. I have tried the fishing archives and found a W A Leonard, certificate no. 2309, who skippered several trawlers from 1891-1906. I presume this is him.
Apart from that there's nothing, it's as if he didn't exist before 1888!