• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Helpful info for Australian/NZ WWI records

I recently solved a long standing mystery of a g-g-uncle who was last seen in 1917 in Australia, and was thought to have perished in the outback as he was a stockman.

I googled his full name (just curious!) and got a hit. New Zealand has a Cenotaph database of military personnel - go to http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/130/cenotaph-database and search the Cenotaph. Click on the name to see the record details. The site gives enlistment details and next of kin etc, so it is pretty helpful to pinpoint the right people.

My relative had gone to NZ, as many Australians did, and enlisted in the NZ army. He was killed in France 6 months later, and the family now has an answer for his disappearance. Just a shame his sister and family never lived to find out what happened to him, as he didn't give a postal address for contacting them! I wonder what happened to his service medals??? Hmmm...warrants further investigation I feel!:)