• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Henry Norbrook

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi oz,
Maybe try the records office in that area and see if they have anything on him. Or the family history centre there. Dont know if they would have anything on him or not but it could be a start. Someone else might have some suggestions that would be of more value as i dont know that area and what is available in the types of records.

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi Oz

It might be worth a try . www. familysearch.org and go into search then Pilot. I think they have Norfolk on there.

Maddie
Otherwise try the Norfolk Record office. Try and google !

snowydacat

If you find something you would like looked up at Norfolk records office let me know, its in my area and Im planning to go there soon.
Word of warning though. There was a fire a few years ago that did destroy many records, most are still available on fische etc but some are no longer in existance sadly
Snowy

dochines

Valued Member
I understand a significant number of coloured came to east anglia in the mid 18th Century. They were crew members of ships that were docking in the local ports rather than slaves, although they were often employed in servant/slave roles

That was a wonderful side note in the baptism record. It made me remember my biology school lessons for A level about 50 years ago. It is now totally politically incorrect, but it worked for me to remember simple medelian inheritance. Any teacher using it now would be struck off!1

with all due apologies if offence is caused.

dochines

Last edited by a moderator:
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
I understand a significant number of coloured came to east anglia in the mid 18th Century. They were crew members of ships that were docking in the local ports rather than slaves, although they were often employed in servant/slave roles

That was a wonderful side note in the baptism record. It made me remember my biology school lessons for A level about 50 years ago. It is now totally politically incorrect, but it worked for me to remember simple medelian inheritance. Any teacher using it now would be struck off!1

with all due apologies if offence is caused.

dochines
Doc,You certainly haven't caused me any offense,regarding that clerks remarks, I'm the last generation that it showed up in, so it took from a scientific point of view 9 generations "Quote" [as the clerk said on that document for the colour to "wash out"] there is no sign of being African etc,showing in any of my 4 children.

They are blue eyed fair haired people.

Oz.

Last edited:
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
If you find something you would like looked up at Norfolk records office let me know, its in my area and Im planning to go there soon.
Word of warning though. There was a fire a few years ago that did destroy many records, most are still available on fische etc but some are no longer in existance sadly
Snowy
Snowy Hi, that is a very generous offer and i really appreciate it, here are the details.

Henry Norbrook 1715-1796 died Tunstall, Suffolk,wife Hannah Cooper 1732-1817 Died Tunstall, Suffolk.

What i would like to know is if he was registered as a slave,as back then England did have African slaves up to 1833 before they were emancipated,his parents names if possible and if available country of origin, there is also a possibility that he could have been a sailor.

However a member from this forum and part of my ancestry claims there is evidence of a direct ancestor being a slave in my tree.

Thank you very much.

Oz Steve.

Last edited:

snowydacat

hi Steve
Suffolk has a different records office to Norfolk. Cambridge is the main place I think. Let me have a check on that one and let you know. Still not off the beaten track but will be more of a day out than a trip down the local lol
Snowy

dochines

Valued Member
I was saddened that Sterico found it necessary to edit out my biology lesson of 50 years ago.

It had real relevance to the discussion in question , I stated it was now politically incorrect, and advance apologies were given

I made a judgement call that this should not cause any offence and therefore published it in quotation marks. I was illustrating the way attitudes change.

I appreciate that opinions vary but I made a careful considered decision before writing it. I again apologise if my decision was wrong

dochines

gibbo

Loyal Member
It was a great find that article on the baptism record and if anything it could be very educational for future generations on how things were looked upon back then. No one meant any offence to any person or persons with this subject but working from a record that is a couple of hundred years old does it mean we have to change the wording of historical documents we find when we have a query about it?

Last edited:
It was a great find that article on the baptism record and if anything it could be very educational for future generations on how things were looked upon back then. No one meant any offence to any person or persons with this subject but working from a record that is a couple of hundred years old does it mean we have to change the wording of historical documents we find when we have a query about it?
Gibbo make that 250 years ago, and this is a research site and we should be able to quote from documents,and as to the colour of my ancestors what words am i allowed to use that won't cause offense.

Oz

nainmaddie

Loyal Member
Hi
I agree that statements made in Registers etc however long ago, should be able to be used in Family History. They are part of our learning and should be used

Going through some Plymouth records a few years ago, there was an entry of a" black child for Baptism.". It appeared he had no family. The vicar still baptised him. It made me think for quite a long time that we had slaves and coloured people in the early 1800's.

Maddie

leefer

Loyal Member
Yep i was in Bristol on Sunday and ventured up Whiteladies Road in Clifton...ware only White Ladies were once alowed to walk...........Bristol has done alot to make sure that the Black people who went through all those agonies are now recognised as be an integral part of this great cities heritage.
It was a great day out and Bristol really is a blast from the past.
Bristowe as it was called in olden times had the great explorer Cabot who landed in Newfoundland all those years ago.........will have to dig abit deeper on ol Cabot.

gibbo

Loyal Member
While the site was down i did some more checking on this and apparently the "word" can be offensive to some people BUT it is also used still in historical context, which in this case it had been. It was also going to be added to the USA 2010 census along side African American etc as some coloured people still recongise it.

Last edited:
While the site was down i did some more checking on this and apparently the "word" can be offensive to some people BUT it is also used still in historical context, which in this case it had been. It was also going to be added to the USA 2010 census along side African American etc as some coloured people still recongise it.
I think it's wrong that if one has a black ancestor from Africa that do gooder's Which are quite often white,can tell me that i can't call my ancestor or myself the "N WORD"

What do others members think.

Oz.

gibbo

Loyal Member
I think it's wrong that if one has a black ancestor from Africa that do gooder's Which are quite often white,can tell me that i can't call my ancestor or myself the "N WORD"

What do others members think.

Oz.
I think we do have to be careful that we dont affend, i dont think anyone will argue with that, my point is that if the "word" is on a document and we are working from that and if it is acceptable in the historical context why cant it be used on a query that someone may have. I think this is one subject that could just keep going around in circles and get no where so maybe just we will just have to word things a little differently as not to affend but yet be able to get the query across on what information is been looked for where as all people are happy with it.

leefer

Loyal Member
The N word is disgusting...on old records ware it rears its ugly head the person researching can easily say black or coloured rather than that hideous word.
Of course PC has gone daft in some areas but for me the N word is a word i wouldnt ever use....whether its on an old record or not.