• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Henry Norbrook

Thats all I can find at the moment.

Steve have you tried the records office for Norfolk or Suffolk regarding Henry Norbrook. To me it looks like if he was a slave he was released from this and maybe there may be a ticket/certificate of freedom or what ever its called.
It's my understanding Henry was given his freedom in Jamaica and then taken to England as a servant by his former master.[God i hate that master word] Lord huntington

Oz

hey Steve............The Jamaica Family History web site has heaps of info on Norbrook estate but it has been a while since I looked again and perhaps slave lists have been added by now. I think they were pretty rare as most ships just said how many slaves there were...rather then names. There is info on Norbrook estate and some slave info but the lady who runs the site is always adding more stuff. I might get another subscription to it (think it was only $5 or $10 to join) but it was very helpful when I was looking for info.
Kim

gibbo

Loyal Member
Oz do you have a marriage for Henry and Hannah?
I know its of the track a bit with what your looking for but if you dont have a marriage for them this one might be a long shot but see what you think...

Grooms name Henry Northbrook
Brides name Hannah Cooper
Marriage date 05 April 1760
Marriage place Norwich Norfolk England

Oz do you have a marriage for Henry and Hannah?
I know its of the track a bit with what your looking for but if you dont have a marriage for them this one might be a long shot but see what you think...

Grooms name Henry Northbrook
Brides name Hannah Cooper
Marriage date 05 April 1760
Marriage place Norwich Norfolk England
Gibbo, you've done it again, Norbrook was the short name of Northbrook the Plantation name in Jamaica.it appears this is where Henry took his name from.

Thanks, Oz

gibbo

Loyal Member
Gibbo, you've done it again, Norbrook was the short name of Northbrook the Plantation name in Jamaica.it appears this is where Henry took his name from.

Thanks, Oz

Your welcome. A shame there was no further info on it, like father's name.
I was a bit hesitant on posting it actually as with the name spelt differently and also i get lost in England so wasnt sure if the area of Norfolk fitted.
Yeah i know get a map gibbo:rolleyes::biggrin:

Baptism

Address Swan Yard

Sarah Norbrook - 17 Oct 1819 - St Mary Whitechapel

Father William occ coachman
Mother Lydia

William Edward Norbrook - 3 Jun 1821 - St Mary Whitechapel

Mother Lydia
:)
Julie thank you, that was the link i was looking for between the two Williams,
however i can't find the link for William senior b about 1777 as son of Henry Norbrook [North Brook] and Hannah Cooper.

Oz Steve

Baptism

Address Swan Yard

Sarah Norbrook - 17 Oct 1819 - St Mary Whitechapel

Mother Lydia

William Edward Norbrook - 3 Jun 1821 - St Mary Whitechapel

Mother Lydia
Julie, this really ties the two Williams together, I'm still trying to find confirmation that Henry is William seniors father.

Thank you
Oz Steve

Hi Steve..........The marriage I got for Henry Norbrook and Hannah Cooper was from the Tunstall Suffolk pr's 7 Apr 1760. The message above says they were married in Norfolk. I wonder if the Norfolk one was transcribed wrong? No big deal but thought I would point it out in case you go looking in Norfolk...Kim

Hi Steve..........The marriage I got for Henry Norbrook and Hannah Cooper was from the Tunstall Suffolk pr's 7 Apr 1760. The message above says they were married in Norfolk. I wonder if the Norfolk one was transcribed wrong? No big deal but thought I would point it out in case you go looking in Norfolk...Kim
Thanks for pointing that out Kim.

Oz Steve

gibbo

Loyal Member
Can we rewind and go back a bit on this please, dont know if im having a wally but i got some questions:rolleyes:

At the beginning of this thread it states that Henry's year of birth was 1715 and death 1796. He would have been 81 when he died a good age for that era and considering he was a slave for at least some of that time and possibly well looked after. If he was born in Jamaica did his year of birth come from a good source?

On #26 on this thread Julie found this. If this is Henry's son, Henry would have been dead for 42 years, would his fathers occupation still have been noted if his father had been deceased for this length of time? I dont know thats why im asking.

Looks like a 2nd marriage for William
22 Jun 1838 - Saint Boltolph
William Norbrook
Sarah Eastugh
Father Henry Norbrook occ servant
Father John Eastugh

I was also reading that some people who had slaves mentioned them in their wills etc. There is a will in National archives UK for

Will of Sir Gerard or William Vanneck of Heveningham Hall , Suffolk 20 June 1791 PROB 11/1206

The will is a few years before Henry died, dont know if it would be worth checking out or not as maybe Henry was a free man.

Now i probably have confused you but just trying to sort it all and i dont do that the easy way:rolleyes:

Can we rewind and go back a bit on this please, dont know if im having a wally but i got some questions:rolleyes:

At the beginning of this thread it states that Henry's year of birth was 1715 and death 1796. He would have been 81 when he died a good age for that era and considering he was a slave for at least some of that time and possibly well looked after. If he was born in Jamaica did his year of birth come from a good source?

On #26 on this thread Julie found this. If this is Henry's son, Henry would have been dead for 42 years, would his fathers occupation still have been noted if his father had been deceased for this length of time? I dont know thats why im asking.

Looks like a 2nd marriage for William
22 Jun 1838 - Saint Boltolph
William Norbrook
Sarah Eastugh
Father Henry Norbrook occ servant
Father John Eastugh

I was also reading that some people who had slaves mentioned them in their wills etc. There is a will in National archives UK for

Will of Sir Gerard or William Vanneck of Heveningham Hall , Suffolk 20 June 1791 PROB 11/1206

The will is a few years before Henry died, dont know if it would be worth checking out or not as maybe Henry was a free man.

Now i probably have confused you but just trying to sort it all and i dont do that the easy way:rolleyes:
Hi, Gibbo
I think having two Williams father and son may have confused you.

Henrys birthdate may not be exactly 1715 but he was still allive when son William the first got married to Lydia Philpott in 1790. They had son William the 2nd born 1819.

William the first re married 1838 at age 64 to Sarah Easthugh. William Junior married Mary Lambert 11/5/1841.

Where Henry is listed as father for William Snr on wedding cert he was still alive at the time
1790 at the age of 75 providing his birth date is correct and being a slave it may not be quite right.

I suppose we should look for Death cert for Henry it might also have Williams
name mentioned as son on it which is what i'm really hoping to get.

I believe Henry was made free man as he entered England with ex master Joshua Vanneck Ist lord of Huntingfield and Henry stayed in his employ as house servant.

Maybe Immigration records should be looked at too from Jamaica to England. I think i read somewhere that Henry Norbrook [ Northbrook] came 1st class from Jamaica probably in Sir Joshua's cabin as servant, silly me didn't keep record.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Thanks Steve

Last edited:
hey Steve............The Jamaica Family History web site has heaps of info on Norbrook estate but it has been a while since I looked again and perhaps slave lists have been added by now. I think they were pretty rare as most ships just said how many slaves there were...rather then names. There is info on Norbrook estate and some slave info but the lady who runs the site is always adding more stuff. I might get another subscription to it (think it was only $5 or $10 to join) but it was very helpful when I was looking for info.
Kim
Thanks Cousin Kim i'll look into it and see what's what.

Oz Steve

gibbo

Loyal Member
Ok probably way off track here and you may have already checked it out but ...
If i read rightly the Vanneck family had something to do with shipping, i had better recheck that but see what you think. Just trying to find something to work with.

Will of Henry Norbrook otherwise Norwood, Seaman now belonging to the East India Ship Barwell dated 29 August 1793 ref. number PROB 11/1236

Ok probably way off track here and you may have already checked it out but ...
If i read rightly the Vanneck family had something to do with shipping, i had better recheck that but see what you think. Just trying to find something to work with.

Will of Henry Norbrook otherwise Norwood, Seaman now belonging to the East India Ship Barwell dated 29 August 1793 ref. number PROB 11/1236
Was his name listed as Norbrook or Norwood, Henry would have been very close to death about then.

Oz

gibbo

Loyal Member
Was his name listed as Norbrook or Norwood, Henry would have been very close to death about then.

Oz
It is on the national archives uk just as i have posted it, "Norbrook otherwise Norwood". It can be purchased online for £3.50 [bit over $5 aussie money] and you can get it straight away on the computer. If your interested in getting it to have a look and need some help let me know. Probably a long shot tho.

It is on the national archives uk just as i have posted it, "Norbrook otherwise Norwood". It can be purchased online for £3.50 [bit over $5 aussie money] and you can get it straight away on the computer. If your interested in getting it to have a look and need some help let me know. Probably a long shot tho.
Gibbbo i wouldn't have a clue how to go about that, the cost is unimportant.
i just don't know enough about computers and doing that type of searching.

oz

gibbo

Loyal Member
Gibbbo i wouldn't have a clue how to go about that, the cost is unimportant.
i just don't know enough about computers and doing that type of searching.

oz
Sent you a PM. Been reading about these Vannecks and their a interesting family, not sidetracked neither just reading to see if there is anything mentioned that might help.

Edited.. think i could be off track:rolleyes: I cant find anything to connect the Vannecks with the East India Ship Barwell. So looks like it could be the wrong Henry for the Will i found. How sure are you that Henry stayed with the Vannecks as a servent and where did that info come from?

Last edited:
Sent you a PM. Been reading about these Vannecks and their a interesting family, not sidetracked neither just reading to see if there is anything mentioned that might help.

Edited.. think i could be off track:rolleyes: I cant find anything to connect the Vannecks with the East India Ship Barwell. So looks like it could be the wrong Henry for the Will i found. How sure are you that Henry stayed with the Vannecks as a servent and where did that info come from?
That info came from one of my cousins, i feel that it is right as vannecks owned Norbrook in Jamaica and took Henry when Joshua moved back to England.

It could be Henry's son too.

I don't mind spending the money, could you get the info and I'll repay you into your bank acc if you want to do it that is.

Oz

gibbo

Loyal Member
That info came from one of my cousins, i feel that it is right as vannecks owned Norbrook in Jamaica and took Henry when Joshua moved back to England.

It could be Henry's son too.

I don't mind spending the money, could you get the info and I'll repay you into your bank acc if you want to do it that is.

Oz

I dont mind doing it, its not a prob:biggrin: