• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Henry Norbrook

There is a lot of information re Henry Norbrook, if you google: My first cousin is directly related and I found a mountain of information: he came from Jamaica from a plantation called Norbrook Plantation, hence his surname. He was born around 1713/15 his master was Charles Long owner of plantation - was taken to England to be servant for his sister Anne Carter and her husband. she died in 1794 and gave him his freedom. He married in 1760 to an English girl and had many children. Some descendants are in Australia. Just google its all true. :) . He was affectionately known as Harry. and seemingly a well loved man. hope this helps.

alw666666

Really sad to hear this. Researching our family tree, it turns out we are related to Steve (and Henry Norbrook) via the Joass strand that arrived in Australia in mid 1800s. We were always quite dark in complexion and curiosity got the better so took a DNA test a while ago and it is true as could see the trace DNA elements. Very interesting.

alw666666

Thanks Steve - that would be great. I'm new to this forum so don't know how to private message. If you've got a tip, let me know as I can also share what I've got!

gibbo

Loyal Member
I think it's wrong that if one has a black ancestor from Africa that do gooder's Which are quite often white,can tell me that i can't call my ancestor or myself the "N WORD"
Wow its been a while since this thread but I have never forgotten it, it was very interesting.

One thing I would like to clear up for the newer members who post on this thread is that the "N WORD" was in fact for the word Negro. As someone complained the word Negro was removed.

alw666666

If you hover your pointer over the user name, a menu will appear. Click on 'Start a Conversation'. Then away you go.!
Thanks! Unfortunately, when I try that, receive the following message (below). Very odd. Is there any chance you could send me a note to which I could reply? Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: