• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Henry Witherington -Carrickmacross

Hi All,
I have hit a bit of a brick wall with one strand of my Irish Ancestry and would be v grateful for some help.
My GG Grandfather was Henry Witherington/Withrington 1833-1904 - a Merchant and farmer.
He was born in Co Fermanagh, married in Dublin, and lived much of his life in Carrickmacross ,Co Monaghan with his wife Harriet Whitley.
I know his fathers name (John Witherington) and occupation (farmer).
I have a close DNA match with a lady who traces her tree back to William Withrington b1737 and Catherine Fanning b. abt 1741 who lived in Dublin but cannot link Henry to this family.
If anyone has any information about his parents or suggestions I would be v grateful.
Many Thanks,
Lee

Hi All,
I have hit a bit of a brick wall with one strand of my Irish Ancestry and would be v grateful for some help.
My GG Grandfather was Henry Witherington/Withrington 1833-1904 - a Merchant and farmer.
He was born in Co Fermanagh, married in Dublin, and lived much of his life in Carrickmacross ,Co Monaghan with his wife Harriet Whitley.
I have a close DNA match with a lady who traces her tree back to William Withrington b1737 and Catherine Fanning b. abt 1741 who lived in Dublin but cannot link Henry to this family.
If anyone has any information about his parents or suggestions I would be v grateful.
Many Thanks,
Lee

Lee,

I am a great-grandson of Henry Withrington and Harriet Whitley who lived at Belleview, Carrickmacross. One of their sons was my grandfather, George Withrington (1877-1962). I have records of their 15 children and quite a few of their descendants (but not including any Mervins!). Henry Withrington's father was John With(e)rington (variously spelled) and we believe that he died in Co. Fermanagh in 1872 at the age of 73 which would make his dates 1799 - 1872. John was a farmer and general merchant in Carrickmackross and there are records of the Withringtons in the local Carrickmacross museum.

I would be glad to hear from you to find out which of your ancestors was a child of Henry and Harriet.

John Withriington

Hi All,
Many Thanks,
Lee

Lee Mervin

Lee,

I am a great-grandson of Henry Withrington and Harriet Whitley who lived at Belleview, Carrickmacross. One of their sons was my grandfather, George Withrington (1877-1962). I have records of their 15 children and quite a few of their descendants (but not including any Mervins!). Henry Withrington's father was John With(e)rington (variously spelled) and we believe that he died in Co. Fermanagh in 1872 at the age of 73 which would make his dates 1799 - 1872. John was a farmer and general merchant in Carrickmackross and there are records of the Withringtons in the local Carrickmacross museum.

I would be glad to hear from you to find out which of your ancestors was a child of Henry and Harriet.

John Withriington
Hi John,
It’s great to hear from you. I am Related to Henry’s son - John Withrington 1870 - 1908. He married Emily Hack the daughter of a Methodist minister and ran a Grocers store in Carrickmacross until shortly after his fathers death when he sadly went bankrupt.
He then moved to Durham in England - near his wife’s family and was working as a commercial traveller when he sadly died of pneumonia in 1908.

Last edited:
Hi Lee,

Great to hear from you! My family records show that John Withrington (1870-1908) was buried at God's Acre, Carrickmacross on 12th May 1908. He married Emily Caroline Hack at Seymour Road Chapel, Astley Bridge, Bolton in 1899. They had four children:
Margaret Withrington
Eleanor May Withrington (born 1900)
John Wilfred Withrington (born 1904 at Carrickmacross and died in 1994 in Hampshire)
Phyllis Grace Withrington (born 1906 and died in 1988 in Essex). She married Arthur William Barr of Menstone, Yorkshire.

Which of these children was one of your grand-parents?

John