• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Heraldic animals

duckweed

Loyal Member
Is a stag and a roebuck the same? I have found several family coats of arms for the Blythe family. A lot of sources give it as 3 roebucks with ermine background However one son is said to have had 2 stags on his coat of arms. Are they the same or has someone seen the mothers family's coat of arms which is definitely 3 roebucks for Scott/Rotherham and put it as the Blythes?

duckweed

Loyal Member
[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']These are the 2 coats of arms of William Blithes 2 sons who became Bishops[/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']Geoffrey BLYTHE, Bp. of Lichfield and Coventry, 1503-31. Sable, two hinds counter-tripping, in fesse argent[[/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']BLYTHE, Bp. of Salisbury, 1493-99. Azure, on a mount vert a hind grazing argent[/FONT]

duckweed

Loyal Member
Sorry I will retype this

GEOFFREY Blythe bishop of Lichfield and Coventry
Sable two hinds counter tripping in fesse argent

John Blythe Bishop of Salisbury
Azure on a mount vert a hind grazing argent.

These are William Blythes sons. He was awarded the coat of arms and so their arms should reflect their fathers as far as I know.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Hi
web site re stags may help, but sounds like you take your pick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer
dave
Fraid that doesn't help.

I have Thomas Rotherham which says his arms which is 3 Roebuck Trippant on an ermine background.

Then I have William Blythe which says his arms are 3 Roebuck Trippant on an Ermine background,

Geoffrey and John the sons arms aren't quartered and have hinds 2 hinds in sable counter/ trippant which I take to be two dear staring at each other and 1 hind grazing on a green background, neither match their fathers so possibly fathers is wrong but then again the 2 brothers don't have a similar coat of arms. Their supposed nephew or cousin has a totally different coat of arms which has three lions on it.

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
In English heraldry a Stag is a generic term for stag, deer, buck, roebuck, hart, doe, hind, reindeer, springbok and various other varieties.
There should be slight differences to the horns but often this is indiscernible.
A hind will not have horns.

A stag trippant is walking (standing upright with its offside front leg raised).
Cheers
Guy

duckweed

Loyal Member
Thanks that is a real help so basically a hind is not a roebuck though I suppose someone could miss the small horns. I knew Trippant mean standing still, so that makes the grazing hind with green background totally different from relatives arms.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tranquil9903 FHUK Funny Forum 0