• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hi All

dimkim

A big hello to everyone and hope all is well.As far as this family tree bit goes i really do not have a clue,my auntie has got me into it and as she does not have broadband i thought i would give it a go but i do not know where to start,i do have some info that she has found out but i'm not even sure how to start the tree,so here goes my journey,my travels start here,wish me luck as i do to you all also. Kim

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Kim,

welcome to the forum the first thing that you need to do is decide how you are going to store your family tree. I started with PAF5 (Personal Ancestral file) free package downloaded from the internet. Or you can store it online at Genes Reunited or Ancestry but I personally like it on my own computer especialy on a laptop so that I can share the tree with those without an internet connection in the family.

I have now upgraded to family Historian as I like the trees you can print from it most packages allow you lot save and load a gedcom file so changing packages isn't normally a problem. If you type "family tree software" into google you can find sites that will tell you about the features of the different packages.

Once you have decided how to store the information start with your family and work backwards till you get stuck. then post what you know about your ancestors on the forum and we will help to find the information.

welcome again to the forum hope that you enjoy posting here and good luck with the family history.

We are here to help with any problems just post in the appropriate place and you should get an answer.:D

welcome

Ed