• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hi been a while

Not had much time recently to follow Family tree though someone recently came up with husband's relative's jail sentence. That will teach him to sneer at my family's black sheep. Turns out there are parts of his family just as disreputable as mine. Ain't genealogy fun?

New Local research is of local 13th century farm which in 1960s was bought up by the council to build an housing estate but the farmhouse survives. Its called Herdings and is in a place called Gleadless in Sheffield but in Victorian times was in Norton in Derbyshire.

So trying to research first the recent history and hit a wall as the local paper only describes the farmer as EW Marsh so don't even know his first name. Last Farmer I know before him was someone called Staniforth in 1857 so kind of a large gap. Any ideas how I find who he was and how long his family lived there. Apparently they had no electricity or plumbing in the house so doubt they had a phone either.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi DW,

I found this which seems to put Staniforth's still there in 1879. I will email you the whole article.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England),
Thursday, April 03, 1879

Last edited:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Gleadless/Gleadleys ,Handsworth Parish.

Edit-Parish registers for Gleadless, 1839-1953.

Author:Church of England. Parish Church of Gleadless (Yorkshire)
Publisher:Sheffield : Sheffield Record Office, 1993.
Edition/Format: Book Microform : Microfiche : English
Database:WorldCat
Summary:Gleadless is a hamlet in the parish of Handsworth

Edit-https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/books/ACatalogueoftheAncientCharters_10256362

Belonging to the Twelve Capital Burgesses Common of the Town and Parish of Sheffield, Usually Known as the Church Burgesses, With Abstracts of All Sheffield Wills Proved at York Prior to 1554

Last edited by a moderator: