• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My name is Drew and I live in Melbourne, Australia, although I was born and bred in Sydney.

I have 75% Irish, 25% Scottish and 25% English heritage (with a touch of Guernsey in there).

I am researching the surnames:

Scotland - Richmond, Galbraith, Gilmour, Fraser, Hamilton, Barr, Whiteford, Stewart in Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire.

England - Cox (Devon, Cornwall, Guernsey), Borman (Middlesex, London), Ruse (Cornwall, Devon, Guernsey), Frecker (Guernsey), Fox (Devon, Guernsey), Smith (probably a hopeless case).

Ireland - Hayes (Limerick), Waters (Dublin), Brennan (Kilkenny), Geraghty (Galway), Moran (Sligo), Gallagher (Sligo).

I am very much looking forward to posting and interacting via the forums.

All the best,

Drew

darkcrystal

Valued Member
Hello Drew and welcome to the forum

Please take some time to have a look around and familiarise yourself with things, if you get stuck shout up and i'm pretty sure someone will jump in to help you..

look forward to chatting, and hopefully helping solve a few mysteries along the way.

if you see something that confuses you, or you if you have an idea if things could be made better then please shout up and say something..

hope you enjoy your time here

Julie

Thank you for making me feel so welcome, ladies.

Lynne - my G-G-G-Grandmother was Elizabeth Fox, born in Tavistock, Devon, England about 1785, and died 9 Sept 1869 in St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands. I don't know anything about her parents, but she married a Richard Ruse in Devonport, Plymouth, Devon, England in 1804. Richard was the son of James Ruse, the First Fleet convict, from his first marriage prior to transportation to Australia. The name "Fox" is carried on by her children and grandchildren in Guernsey and back in Devon. For example, I know that 3 of her sons were James Fox Ruse, Samuel Fox Ruse and Charles Fox Ruse. These people turn up variably in both the English and Channel Islands census'. It would be great if you could find a link to your family. Drew

rgu994

Welcome - my grandmother was a Robina Whiteford from Scotland f(parents Mathew and Margaret (nee Hamilton). Let me know what names you are following as I have birth and death certificates from Scotland People for many Whiteford's.

Robina Married a Harry Ross while she was a VA in the UK - I have never found out where they got married - children were born in Dunedin NZ and Melbourne.

Hope I can be of help
Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.