• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hi, I'm new to this site and this type of researching.

Leanisky

Have only recently discovered for my husband who his father was, and now trying to find out about that family line.
Have been able to trace back to a George Maber WHIMPER, a surgeon in Tillingham, Essex, for several years. He died aged 84 in 1866 and is buried in Walsall, Staffordshire.
According to a census he was born at Alderton Hall, Suffolk possibly about 1783. As yet cannot discover which line of WHIMPERs he comes from.
He married Apenna POYNTER about 1814.
As with many of the WHIMPER name he changed the spelling to WHYMPER at some later part of his life.
Any suggestions for the next step?
Leanisky
Masterton, New Zealand

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Lean,

And a warm welcome to you.

Have a browse through the forums, and you'll see where to put your queries and questions. Ask away, and I'm sure you'll get a few pointers.:)

Steve.:)

sterico

Loyal Member
welcome to the F.H.U.K forums , all you need to do is post in the appropriate forums and give us as much info as you already have and also your query and we will help you as much as possible
good luck with your research , best regards
sterico

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Leanisky

Some newspaper articles relating to your WHIMPER's.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, January 9, 1836; Issue 5103.
Death
2nd inst., at Tillingham, Essex, Apenna, the beloved
wife of George Whimper Esq., of that place.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, March 6, 1858; Issue 6200.
Death
19th ult., at her brother’s house, Walsall, Stafford-
shire, after long suffering with diseased heart. Miss
Apenna Whimper, in her 40th year, daughter of George
Maber Whimper, Esq., Surgeon, late of Tillingham,
Essex, now of Walsall, Staffordshire ; niece of Capt.
Whimper, C.R.N., late of Woodbridge.

--------------------------------------------------
This maybe a brother of George and uncle of Apenna. (note previous article)

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, January 1, 1842; Issue 5360.
WOODBRIDGE
NAVAL PROMOTION – The Commissioners of the Admi-
ralty have been pleased to promote Lieut. Wm. Whymper,
of the Royal Navy, (Seniority 29th April, 1802) of this
town, to the rank of Commander in her Majesty’s Fleet,
pursuant to an Order in Council dated the 8th Nov. 1830,
with permission to retain the “out pension of Greenwich.”

(1861 census has a William WHIMPER born abt 1782 Alderton, Suffolk, living in Middlesex).

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, April 4, 1863; Issue 3313.
Death
WHIMPER – On the 25th of March, at his residence, Stoke
Newington, Capt. Wm. Whimper, R.N., in his 82nd
Year, deeply regretted.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, July 2, 1836; Issue 5128.
Death
26th ult., in Seckford-street, Woodbridge, after a pro-
tracted illness, Mary Ann, wife of Lieut. Whymper, R.N.,
and second daughter of the late Rev. John Black, formerly
of that town.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, December 19, 1863; Issue 6502.
Death
WHIMPER – 30th ult., of typhus fever, at 4, Barford
Terrace, Liverpool-road, Islington, London, aged 44,
Miss Gerorgiana Thomas Harriett Whimper, eldest
daughter of the late Capt. Whimper, R.N., of Wood-
bridge.

-------------------------------------------------------
Not sure if your's, included them as they mention Alderton-Hall.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, March 10, 1804; Issue 3709.
Burial
Wednesday last was interred in Alderton
Church, the remains of the much respected John
Whimper Esq., of Alderton-Hall.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, May 21, 1808; Issue 3906.
Marriage
Thursday was married at Theberton, by the
Rev. Mr. Brown, Mr. Thurston Whimper, of
Alderton-Hall, to Miss Ablett, of Alderton.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, August 28, 1852; Issue 5912.
Death
25th inst., at No. 7, Prospect Place, Woodbridge Road,
in the 76th year of her age, Mrs. Jane Hughes, youngest
daughter of the late John Whimper Esq., of Alderton-Hall.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, December 29, 1810; Issue 4034.
All persons indebted to, or having Claims upon, the
estate of the late Mr. THURSTON WHIMPER,
of Alderton-hall, are requested to send a particular of
their accounts to Messrs. Pearson and Bunn of Ipswich.

Hoping something here helps out.

cheers
crankypants

Last edited:
Re Whimper

I am the local historian for Tillingham and can provide some info on Dr Whimper.

e.g. a photo of his house in Tillingham and entries for doctors services for treating the local poor, and probably more.

[email address editited for security reasons]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again - I've only just joined this forum and did not see the other replies until now.

Not only can I provide info on Dr Whimper, I have even more on Lt. William Whimper who by a remarkable coincidence, was stationed at Tilligham signal station during the French Wars. He was taken to write long letters to the Lords of the Admiralty until they got fed up with him !!! I have copies and transcripts of many of his letters.

The other replies have considerably helped me with more detailed knowledge of one of my Lieutenants who I have been researching - many thanks.

Kevin

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Kevin

It is best you do not advertise your email address on posts on the forum for security reasons. The above post was edited for that reason.

Ben

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Leanisky & Kevin

Anyone interested in WHIMPER/WHYMPER.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, November 23, 1822; Issue 4412.
Death
Tuesday last died, at Woodbridge, Sarah Thomas, the
infant daughter of Lieut. Whimper, R.N.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, October 2, 1830; Issue 4828.
Death
Same day died, at Woodbridge, Meadows Rouse, the
infant son of Lieut. Wm. Whymper, R.N.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, September 19, 1846; Issue 5602.
Death
Catherine, the wife of Capt. Wm. Whimper, C.R.N.,
and 4th daughter of Mr. Jeremiah White, of Brockford.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, December 11, 1847; Issue 5666.
Lost at sea, on his passage from Calcutta to England,
about the month of December last, when it is supposed
the “Eagle” foundered (as she has not been heard of
since), Forrester Rose, aged 19, the youngest son of Capt.
William Whymper, C.R.N., of Woodbridge.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, May 10, 1851; Issue 5844.
NAVAL PROMOTION – His Excellency, Rear-Admiral,
Austen, Commander-in-Chief in India and China, has
promoted Mr. Logie Augustus Whimper, late commis-
sioned mate of H.M.B. Serpent, to the rank of Lieute-
nant, and appointed him to H.M.S. Hastings (his flag
ship) which the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty
have been pleased to confirm. Services from September,
1841 :- In H.M Ships Malabar, Flamer, Fantoine, Birken-
head, St. Vincent (flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Charles Na-
pier), to Morocco : Serpent now India and China station,
Services in South America :- Mediterranean, India, China,
&c. And on Special Service :- Ireland, in Flamer and
Birkenhead, previous to appointment to H.M.B. Serpent.
Passed the Royal College, 11th September 1849, for rank.
Son of Capt. Wm. Whimper, C.R.N., of Woodbridge.

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, April 12, 1862; Issue 6414.
Died, in the early part of January last, at the
Hospital Sierra Leone, of fever, aged 35, Logie Augus-
tus Whimper, Esq., senior lieutenant of H.M.S.
“Orestes” and eldest and last surviving son of Com-
mander Wm. Whimper, R.N., formerly of Woodbridge.
Lieutenant Whimper was upwards of 20 years in Her
Majesty’s Navy, and for the greater part of the time
in active service in most parts of the world. He com-
manded a battery in the Crimean war, and was also
engaged in the war in the Baltic, and received medals
and clasps for his war services.

cheers
crankypants

Hi Leanisky and Crankypants

Many thanks Crankypants for all the Ipswich Journal material - I'm assuming that you have used the Newspaper Data Base or do you have a special interest in the Whimpers ?

I now know much more about Lt. Wm. I have 4 pages of transcripts of his letters starting from his appointment as Lt in 1802 - he mentions being in a ship in 1798, presumably as a Midshipman, and he recounts having been in a number of shipwrecks. His luck didn't improve as he was appointed to HMS Romney late 1804 only to record that it had been lost before Jan 1805 :mad:

3 of his letters in 1805 are from Alderton Hall.

His health was not good and in Jan 1806 he found himself appointed to take charge of the signal station at Tillingham Grange - some miles from the village. He served there for 2 years and there might be a chance that he advised his brother George of a possible vacancy for a Dr in Tillingham.

I'll give you just one brief eg. of his attitude towards the 'lower classes' : "The daily insults which the Officers of the Signal Stations meet with by having a set of impertinent country clowns under them, which will go and come just as they please, and we have no means of redress, ..." whoops !

In Mar 1808 Dr Peacocke died and the first ref. I have for George is early in 1810 when he was appointed by Bradwell Parish [next door] to look after their poor.

Feb 28 1814 he married Apenna Poynter at Dengie [next door] and was described as of Tillingham. 19 March 1815 George Hughes Whimper was baptised at Tillingham ; Apenna on 8 March 1818 and Sarah Jane 9 April 1820.
Apenna snr was buried 9 Jan 1836 aged 49 - therefore born 1787.

1841 census just has George snr and dau Apenna but in 1848 George Hughes was married to Helen Curtis at Tillingham. In 1851 it is again just Geo snr and dau Apenna living at the Limes, Tillingham. This had been the Dr's residence from the late 1700s until early 1900s. Still standing.

Leanisky - if you want info on Apenna I can search my transcripts of local registers - so far I have not found her baptism - Tillingham entries for around 1787 are damaged and I can not find her. Neither can I find her in surrounding parishes but in Asheldham there were Rb and Apenna who had several children including 2 Apennas 1752 and 1762. Both a Rb and Apenna were buried there 8 March 1786 - the parents ?

The Poynters were farmers and prominent for many years in this area. I can put you in touch with another Poynter researcher who may have answers for you. There are wills which may help. Clutching at straws your Apenna might be a dau of a Thomas - he was having children about the right time in Tillingham.

Googling Alderton Hall Whimper gives a bit more inc. a will for John W 1804 held at Norwich.

Hope all this will be of use and interest - Kevin

Leanisky

Hi to everyone,
Thank you for the warm welcome and tremendous amount of information that has been posted, even though I didn't put my request in the right forum.redf) Sorry about that.

The information contained in the death notice for Miss Apenna Whimper where it mentioned she was the "niece of Capt. Whimper" is very helpful.
Up to now, I have been collecting any details on WHIMPER / WHYMPER that came my way, in the hope that at some stage some of the pieces of the puzzle will join together, and that little piece now means what I have on George Maber W and Capt William W can be put together, and hopefully may lead to finding out who their parents were.

Crankypants thank you for your help. As I see you also live 'downunder' I presume that the Ipswich Journal is available on-line.

Thank you Kevin, I hope to be in touch when I find out how. The extra details you have supplied help to put some flesh on the bare bones that have been about all I have found so far.

from a very grateful Leanisky

Hi Leanisky

Glad the info was of use.

I typed out the Dr's agreement last night so here it is plus [I hope] his signature. It is the earliest ref. so far for our area. A printed history of Bradwell from c1920 says George first stayed at Bradwell Hall before moving to the Limes. Possibly a temporary move while the Peacockes vacated/sold the Limes to George ?

From a helpful post, it seems that once you have posted a third post, we can then use the private messages facility.

Bye for now, Kevin

Doctor’s Agreement for Treating the Poor of Bradwell.

An Agreement made between Mr Geo Whimper – Surgeon and Apothecary of the Parish of Tillingham in the County of Essex on the one part, And the Churchwardens & Overseers of the Parish of Bradwell near the Sea in the said County on the other part, Witnesseth That the said Geo. Whimper – Surgeon & Apothecary of the Parish aforesaid doth agree to look after and attend all the Poor that belong to the said Parish and likewise all the Casual Poor that may stand in need of the Assistance of a Surgeon or Apothecary, With proper attendance, Medicines, Ointments, Salves &c &c, that may or shall be wanted by the Poor of the said Parish. And likewise agrees to attend upon them as often as may be necessary within 3 miles of the said Parish of Bradwell or the same distance of the Surgeon & Apothecary’s residence, for the Sum of Twenty Guineas – per year from Easter 1810 to the Easter Ensuing.

And in Cases of Midwifry to be allowed One Guinea for each –

And for all Fractures Simple or Compound and for all dislocations the further Sum of Forty Shillings for each Person that may meet with such accidents.

And all the Poor that belong to the said Parish that are without the Limits of this Agreement, The said Geo. Whimper agrees to attend them upon the same Sums and at the same Expence to the Parish that the nearest Surgeon and Apothecary would attend upon the said Person in such Cases or Accidents.

And as a Ratification of this Agreement, We the Churchwardens and Overseers of the said Parish And George Whimper Surgeon and Apothecary Sign our Names this 23rd day of April 1810.

[ Sorry - signature did not copy here ]

Doctor Whimper’s Salary to be advanced to Twenty Guineas a year under the above conditions Dated this 30th day March 1812.

Hi Leanisky

Here's a bit more.

This is about all I have on Dr. George W. I had hoped he would have turned up in some of my local newspaper extracts but for his period at Tillingham I only have a small amount covered. He almost certainly would have appeared from time to time.

Extracts from Tillingham Parish Records :

1811 Gibbons { Mr. Whimper to have 2s. p week from Mich. 1811 to Mich. 1812 & Cloathes.

Michaelmas 1812

Gibbons - Mr. Whimper --- cloathes only

The above relate to pauper children farmed out to local people to be looked after at the expence of the parish.

1827 5 Apr. Mr Maskell stated to this meeting a message from the Overseers of Dengie respecting Little a servant of Mr. Grice's who was seriously hurt by a colt which he was riding on Sunday the 1st. Apr. that they considered that the parish of Tillingham had acted improperly in allowing him to be removed to Dengie. Consequently ought to be relieved from this parish. But the parishioners present do not consider themselves obligate to render any assistance as it was the direction of Mr Whimper the surgeon who attended him immediately after the accident to have him conveyed to his lodgings at Mr. Grice's Lower Farm.

1829 May. Agreed to pay Dr. Whimper £20 for vaccinating of the Poor.

I’ve also found the following on the web :

1844 Essex Meeting
Provincial Medical & Surgical Journal (1844-1852), Vol. 8, No. 29 (Oct. 16, 1844), pp. 450-451
(article consists of 2 pages)
Published by: BMJ Publishing Group Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25498155

Dr. George W. was present at this meeting, organised to protest at a proposed Act of Parliament. He even seconded one proposal to form an Essex branch.

Kevin

Leanisky

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for all those details. It's those little bits that help us to understand the times our family members were living in, and starts to build a picture of what they themselves were like.

Yes, I had picked up on the 3 posts information, but this old fogie sometimes has trouble using modern technology. Just hope I can cope with it. Will keep fingers crossed and see what happens.

Thanks, Leanisky