• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

hi, just joined today

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Hi and welcome to the forum....have a look around and post any questions you may have in the relevant thread,,im sure you will recieve the help you need.:)

duckweed

Loyal Member
Hi we might have some ancestors in common or at least my husband might. We have Longden sometimes called Longdin in our family and they come from round your neck of the woods. I'm not talking recently though. We also have Shepherd from around 1800s.

So who knows? Anyway welcome and anyway we can help we will. We were all newby's once.

dmmordue

:)thanks for the welcome guys. well funny u should mention shepherds, because my great grandfather was called thomas william henry longden, but the father that was named on his birth certificate apparently wasnt his father, and from what we can figuire out a man named thomas william henry shepherd was. i found my great grandfather on 1911 census but named as thomas william henry shepherd, so sometime later he changed his surname to longden{his mothers maiden name, emily longden} but then i draw a blank lol. thanks for the replies guys x

duckweed

Loyal Member
My guess is that they are one of the same. Presumably he was illegitimate and name should be Longden legally but he took his fathers surname Shepherd some of the time.

Not uncommon if the person is actually recognised by his father publically.

In Elizabethan times for instance John son of Margery Rotherham and illegitimate son of William Blythe was called John Blythe alias Rotherham. Sometimes he would be called Blythe and other times Rotherham.

cacran

Hi there. I am quite new to this too. I have found this site to be very useful and the other members are very, very helpful. We have Longden in our family too.

cacran

I have Longden in my family tree. In 1851 census Edward Longden Headof family
born 1811 in Greasebrough, Yorkshire. He later lived at Billingley, Yorkshire. Is there any link?