• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

High Memory useage

Hi, is there a computer buff out there who can throw some light on my problem

My computer seems so slow,especially when it is starting up. I've done the usual de frag and deleting files, my memory useage is below 50% but no difference

I keep getting a message that iexplore.exe is using alot of memory, 142mb the last time. What does this mean and could this be why its slow?

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'll start with the background info I need. ;)

Do you get any out of memory message at start up?

What O/S are you running/

What version of IE ?

When you close IE does iexplore.exe still appear in taskmanager?

Have you recently added a new antivirus or security program?

Have you cleared the cache/temporary internet files?

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Start taskmanager - click on the column heading 'image name' to sort them - look for iexplore.exe - you might have one or two starting with i but if you have one starting with I especially when the browser is NOT running then you have a trojan.

If not and you have checked for virus/trojan/malware and system is clean then try resetting the browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

I'll start with the background info I need. ;)

Do you get any out of memory message at start up? NO

What O/S are you running/ WHAT IS OS

What version of IE ? I THINK ITS 7 BUT CAN'T FIND WHERE IT GIVES THE VERSION

When you close IE does iexplore.exe still appear in taskmanager? SORRY DAVE DON'T UNDERSTAND - WHAT IS TASKMANAGER

Have you recently added a new antivirus or security program? YES, I'VE UPDATED NORTON TO 2011

Have you cleared the cache/temporary internet files? YES
I'm one of those who only know how to do what they've learned and if anything different happens, they're sunk

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok no problems. It will take a bit longer.

O/S = operating system eg XP or Windows 7

Somewhere in IE options it will have an item 'about' that's where the version is. It's in different places for some versions.

Did you update Norton while IE was running?

I'll be back in 30 min.

Ok no problems. It will take a bit longer.

O/S = operating system eg XP or Windows 7 ---- XP

Somewhere in IE options it will have an item 'about' that's where the version is. It's in different places for some versions. -----CAN'T FIND IT, BUT NEARLY SURE IT'S 7
Did you update Norton while IE was running?---COULD BE - I think Windows live messenger was still on the screen

I'll be back in 30 min.
Sorry dave how do you start taskmanager

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
To start it Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323527

click on the 2nd tab which is processes
click on the left column heading 'Image name' to sort the names

Look for iexplore.exe

Tell me if you have 1 or 2 of it and what memory is being used

Tell me if there is a Iexplore.exe

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I would suggest you reset the IE -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737#showme

Internet properties - advanced tab - reset button - reboot

and if that does not solve the problem then look at the Norton alternative solution but only use the Norton removal tool if you have the Norton product and serial number on CD.

Before you continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web...b&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20100806170632EN

Last edited:
Hi Dave
thanks for your replies and PM. I will be careful what I do, as I can't risk losing my familty tree and related records.

I looked at task manager. there are two iexeplore.exe, one taking 105928kb, the other 22528kb There isn't a Iexplore.exe

My comp was slow before I updated Norton, but only got the message afterwards. I just though it was a feature of the update.

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, Norton will give those messages at times and not always is it a serious problem. However with the amount of memory your IE is using there is a problem that needs sorting.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with Chrome as my browser. If I start IE I get 2x iexplore.exe one about 20,000 kb and the other about 5,000 kb so something is very seriously wrong with your IE so a reset of the browser as per the link is suggested. One result of the reset is that any add-ons (if you have any) are removed. It's usually add-ons that are written by third-parties that cause trouble with Norton and the system in general.

If the reset of the browser does not fix the problem then the removal of Norton with the Removal Tool and a reinstall of Norton would be the next move. If that does not solve it then I'd think the system needs a thorough check for virus/trojan/malware.

If you have more than one hard disk copy stuff to the second as backup. If only one disk but more than one partition (ie you have C: and D:) then put a copy of important stuff on both drives. Even consider burning a backup to a CD-RW weekly or whatever. I have a backup of my tree as a ZIP file on a 2nd hard disk and a copy of the zip as an attachment to an email I sent myself so the email is on my ISP's server and I can get it from any computer.

Hi Dave
thanks very much for all your help. I have learned a few things already.
I will have a go at resetting and will let you know the result. It will be a while, as I want to do other things first, and it will be when I have plenty of time.

dave