• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Hms strathmore

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.thestrathallan.com/strathmore.htm

This is the ship my wife Donnami sailed back to England on from Australia in 1961.....with her mother/father and two older brothers....through the Suez canal....taking a staggering two months:eek:
While only young she can remember the sense of adventure.....she was a lucky lady....weighing less than three pounds the Aussies worked overtime to keep her alive.
Her older brothers have told me of her time in Gawler....when it was a little town near Port Elizabeth....apparently the pool on the ship was lethal and many kids nearly perished while swimming in it.:)
The family spent about five years in total there...like many Brits they arrived and left on the ten pound ticket!
Fate is strange.....a last min decision by Donnami,s mother meant they returned to England....and didn't get that life in another continent.
Donnami can/could still get duel citizenship.......though i think both governments are reviewing the rules on this at present.

leefer

Loyal Member
Just talking to Donnami's brother.....here are the jorney details there and back:eek:

Outward on the HMS Fairsea........Tilbury,Los Palmas in the Canaries,Port Elizabeth in South Africa,Durban,Freemantle and finally into Outer Harbour.
They stayed awhile at the Elder Park Hostel in Adelaide then moved into Elizabeth...living in Womma Road.

The area they lived in is now Plaiford.....around about 40 miles from Gawler.
Donnami's father worked at The British Tube Mills.....then became a driver......

The homeward journey was staggering..NOT on the cheap ticket as i said involved this...

Leaving Outer Harbour saw Melbourne,Sidney(the Opera House was being constructed at this time he recalls)Wooloomo,Brisbane....onto Singapore,Ceylon(now Sri lanka)..then Aden,Port Suez and through the canal...a long delay because of the crisis...Port Said,then onto Italy and Naples..finally arriving at Gennoa.
Because it was cheaper they then got a train across Europe to Dieppe in France and finally a ferry to Newhaven England!
He confirms it was a great adventure for two young boys though his poor parents were wrecks by the time they arrived back to London:eek:

Mind blowing and he remembers it all very clearly though Donnami being younger only bits/pieces.

leefer

Loyal Member
Meant to say if anyone can get old photos(i know there are some in Australia)of the hostel or people living there that would be great.:)
Read a lot about the place but never really seen it apart from old pics ware Donnami lived.

joaning

Loyal Member
Just talking to Donnami's brother.....here are the jorney details there and back:eek:

Outward on the HMS Fairsea........Tilbury,Los Palmas in the Canaries,Port Elizabeth in South Africa,Durban,Freemantle and finally into Outer Harbour.
They stayed awhile at the Elder Park Hostel in Adelaide then moved into Elizabeth...living in Womma Road.

The area they lived in is now Plaiford.....around about 40 miles from Gawler.
Donnami's father worked at The British Tube Mills.....then became a driver......

The homeward journey was staggering..NOT on the cheap ticket as i said involved this...

Leaving Outer Harbour saw Melbourne,Sidney(the Opera House was being constructed at this time he recalls)Wooloomo,Brisbane....onto Singapore,Ceylon(now Sri lanka)..then Aden,Port Suez and through the canal...a long delay because of the crisis...Port Said,then onto Italy and Naples..finally arriving at Gennoa.
Because it was cheaper they then got a train across Europe to Dieppe in France and finally a ferry to Newhaven England!
He confirms it was a great adventure for two young boys though his poor parents were wrecks by the time they arrived back to London:eek:

Mind blowing and he remembers it all very clearly though Donnami being younger only bits/pieces.
-----------------------

Hi Lee, Playford is the name of the local council for that area. Elizabeth comes under the umbrella of the Playford council.The council area stretches from the boundary with Salisbury(Sth).Gawler (N) Tea tree Gully(E) and Virginia (W), The distance from Elizabeth to Gawler is about 15 kms
almost 10 miles. there are several new housing estates out that way now, namely, Playford Waters,Blakes Crossing,Munno Para,
The area around Womma Road is known as Davoren Park,and still has houses there from the 50's/60's. I have put in a link to the Hostels in South Australia. I will see if I can find some pictures of the areas you have mentioned.
Cheers Joan:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrant_hostels_of_South_Australia

[/url]http://www.playford.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
-----------------------

Hi Lee, Playford is the name of the local council for that area. Elizabeth comes under the umbrella of the Playford council.The council area stretches from the boundary with Salisbury(Sth).Gawler (N) Tea tree Gully(E) and Virginia (W), The distance from Elizabeth to Gawler is about 15 kms
almost 10 miles. there are several new housing estates out that way now, namely, Playford Waters,Blakes Crossing,Munno Para,
The area around Womma Road is known as Davoren Park,and still has houses there from the 50's/60's. I have put in a link to the Hostels in South Australia. I will see if I can find some pictures of the areas you have mentioned.
Cheers Joan:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrant_hostels_of_South_Australia

[/url]http://www.playford.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm
Thanks Joan....good of you.

And thanks Coops...appreciate it.