• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Holbeck Parish records

Hi all
I am planning a trip up to Leeds to search the parish records for ancestors records.
I have traced the Whitaker family back to Holbeck in Leeds and am stuck on John Whitaker b1812 married Ellen Thackeray b1813.
I can`t find any more information on John or Ellen (my 3xgreat grandparents) so am planning a trip to the archives offices for further research.
Can anybody tell me which office would have the records or if the main library will have the info?
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Hi Steve

I presume you have census records of the family and have seen the mge record on Ancestry. Unfortunately this does not give parents. The only clue being a witness Elizabeth Whitaker
There are a few John Whitakers born around 1812.
It appears the church they used was St Peters (Leeds parish Church), so the records will be at the central library on the Headrow, next to the city hall.

dave

Hi Steve

I presume you have census records of the family and have seen the mge record on Ancestry. Unfortunately this does not give parents. The only clue being a witness Elizabeth Whitaker
There are a few John Whitakers born around 1812.
It appears the church they used was St Peters (Leeds parish Church), so the records will be at the central library on the Headrow, next to the city hall.

dave
Hi Dave
Thats an interesting comment from yourself, I have a subscription to FMP and there is no records on there for the marriage.
Does Ancestry give details of the witnesses as well?
As you have said there are a lot of Whitakers in Yorkshire, just adds to the frustration and the wall gets thicker!!

Hi Steve
Thanks for the link, I will be registering on their site and be asking questions.

Thank you both.
Steve

Hi Dave
Thats an interesting comment from yourself, I have a subscription to FMP and there is no records on there for the marriage.
Does Ancestry give details of the witnesses as well?
Steve
Hi Steve

Ancestry has West Yorks Parish regs. If you send me your email address by Private message, I'll send you the marriage record.

I think you have made two posts - you need to have made three before you can PM. Reply to this message then wait until your name turns green. You can then PM

dave