• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

HOLEHOUSE Wm. and Emma

Sashar

From
Australia
Looking for 1871 Census with William and Emma HOLEHOUSE who married in 1867 at West Derby Lancashire.
William b. c1839
Emma b. c1844 Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire

William was a widower when he married Emma so may already have children.

William's father John HOLEHOUSE, Emma's father Henry KNOTT.

Thanks,
Sashar :)

Hi Sashar
Just to add for the peeps, William was a butcher at time of marriage, living in Cecil St Lpool.
I expect Holehouse has been mangled by the transcribers....
Ozn

Thankyou oznannie and julie,

Unusual name so it's quite possibly "mangled" as you say.

Julie - could you post Emma's death details please, :'( i haven't found that.

Hi,

A maybe for William in 1901 surname transcribed as Holshouse.

Civil parish West Derby

William Holehouse age 64 occ house painter born Liverpool
Marguerite Bedows servant

Class RG13
Piece 3493
Folio 18
Page 28

Williams maritial status dosnt say widow looks like a m for married.

Julie :):)

Ozn

I've found this record in 1841, father John is a horse dealer on the marr cert.
(ages rounded off)
Perhaps of some help?
Wirkswith Derbyshire, John Holehouse 30 horse dealer, Dorothy 30, John 7, WILLIAM 4, Alfred 2 & George 8days
all born county.
Added later: I think baby George is a horse dealer in Lpool Lime St district in 1871 census bn Dby

Last edited:
Hi,

William holehouse from the 1901 census turns up in 1911 in the civil parish of Liverpool, this time his place of birth is Longsight Manchester and Margaret Beddows is with him classed as housekeeper. His occupation is now commission agent.

A possible death for William if he is the one in 1901/1911 census

William Holehouse - Age 82/Est birth year 1836 - District Liverpool - Oct/Nov/Dec

Vol 8b
Page 254

Thankyou for Emma's death details.
I have Emma in the 1851 Census with her parents and 2 brothers in Cleobury Mortimer Shropshire.
In 1861 Emma's father is living with his new wife but the children aren't with him.
I think this is Emma's brother John in the 1861 Census:-
1861 Census:-
John M Knott
Relationship to Head of Household: Servant
Birthplace: Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Presteigne
Sub-district: 3 Kington
Ecclesiastical Parish:
Civil Parish: Kington
County: Radnorshire

Radnorshire is where Emma and John's mother Mary Ann KNOTT nee ROGERS has as her birthplace in the 1851 Census. Not sure if Mary is dead or alive in 1861.

Is it possible to find in 1861 either Emma KNOTT b. Cleobury Mortimer, aged about 17, or her mother Mary or Mary Ann KNOTT b. Radnorshire, aged about 48.
I haven't seen the complete household of John M KNOTT age 20 in 1861 so would be interested if that could be found as well.

Thankyou also for the "possible" William HOLEHOUSE details.
Their disappearance in 1871-1881 is a bit of a mystery but seeming normal for this family.

Thankyou for your help - most appreciated,
Sashar

I looked for Emma in 1881 using no family name and just her place of birth and birth date +/- 3 years and found nothing that fits.

Hi Julie, Interesting as I think Dave may have come up with that possible death date on another thread I posted on the Knotts.

It seems pretty likely that is her doesn't it.

Maybe as the younger 2 children were 10 and 13 around 1854, they may have gone to be with Mary Ann's side of the family which is why John M Knott is still found in the area in 1861.

Thanks for your find,

Hi,

1861 - Civil parish Kington - RD Presteigne - Sub RD Kington

John M Knott age 20 occ servant born Cleaobury Mortimer

Head of house is a Jane Drew and family occ cooper

Class RG9
Piece 4230
Folio 14
Page 22

Back