• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

HOLLOWAY, SMITH & PRINCE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
NSW Marriage V1845577 30B/1845 HOLLOWAY BENJAMIN - SMITH ELIZABETH - CT= CofE Black Creek; Bulwarra; Cloden; East Maitland; Hinton; Hunter District; Maitland; Morpeth; West Maitland

This baptism is before the marriage of Elizabeth nee Smith to Henry and before Benjamin's death.

NSW Bap V18523269 38A/1852 PRINCE HARRIET - HENRY - ELIZABETH - NA= CofE Scone

NSW Marriage 2310/1864 PRINCE HENRY - HOLLOWAY ELIZABETH - MAITLAND

NSW Death 719/1865 HOLLOWAY BENJAMIN AGE 49 YEARS DIED SYDNEY SYDNEY

Henry Prince born abt 1815 and his arrival abt 1840 per "Fame" ? not found.

I dunno gibbo. The events in post #1 don't add up.

I'll find the starting point.

Empire (Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1875)
Mon 10 Dec 1866

PARISH -HOLLOWAY-December 4, by special license , at St Bartholomew's, Pyrmont, by the Rev W. Allworth, Mr.
Josiah Parish,of the Macleay River, to Elisabeth, widow of the late Mr. Benjamin Holloway, of Pyrmont, Sydney.

FUNERAL.—The Friends of Mr. SAMUEL LAUNDRY Parramatta-street, are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late departed Brother-in-law,
BENJAMIN HOLLOWAY; the procession to move from his late residence, Point-street, Pyrmont, on FRIDAY AFTERNOON, at 3 o'clock.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13115969

Thanks gibbo.

I was working from here:

NSW Bap V18541020 40/1854 PRINCE GEORGE - HENRY - ELIZABETH - NS= CofE Armidale, St Peter

Page 5
Baptisms Administered in the Parish of St. Peter Armidale in the District of New England in 1854
No. 61 When Baptised: 1854 27 August When Born: 1854 28 July George Son of Henry & Elizabeth Prince Abode: Rocky River Quality or Profession: Gold Digger By whom the Ceremony was performed: S. Hungerford

Not sure if a marriage is missing before 1852 or if the marriage took place after two births of 1852 and 1854. Or if we have 2x Henry Prince.

Pity the two baptisms don't have the mother's maiden name.

Last edited:
There is no marriage in NSW index before 1852 for a Henry Prince to an Elizabeth.

I can't explain the 1864 marriage yet. It would mean five children born before it.

NSW Births
PRINCE HENRY 15535/1865 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH
PRINCE AMELIA 16618/1867 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH
PRINCE ISABELLA 17550/1870 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH
PRINCE BEATRICE 19126/1873 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH

Need to show that Harriet 1852 and George 1854 are siblings or not.

NSW Births
PRINCE JOHN 12461/1858 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH
PRINCE WILLIAM 13296/1861 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH
PRINCE WILLIAM H B 13975/1863 HENRY - ELIZABETH - TAMWORTH

Last edited:
This is the Elizabeth who married Henry Prince.

NSW Death 12686/1887 PRINCE ELIZABETH AGE 58 YEARS DIED TAMWORTH TAMWORTH * 27 Dec 1886

2x Elizabeth Holloway ??

The one married to Benjamin remarried in 1866 after his death in 1865.

NSW Death 1836/1897 PARISH ELIZABETH M - ELIZABETH - MARRICKVILLE

That can't be the same Elizabeth Holloway who married in 1864 with Prince children born 1865 - 1873.

If the five children born before 1864 fit then there has to be a reason for the delayed marriage. Waiting for a Holloway death ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks Val.

Several trees have the Elizabeth who married Henry Prince as Elizabeth Smith born 1829, first married Benjamin then married Henry Prince before Benjamin died and then had her death in 1887. Was year of birth calculated from age at death in 1887 ?

That's impossible because after Benjamin died Elizabeth remarried to Parish and died in 1897 as Parish. Clearly we have 2x Elizabeth.

If Benjamin was using Henry as another alias then what about the births after 1865 (Benjamin's death) with parents as Henry & Elizabeth?

I think Elizabeth Smith born abt 1829 married Benjamin and then married Parish and died in 1897.

Last edited:
Yes, Val, that's why I say there must be 2x Elizabeth.

If there was only one Elizabeth born Smith who married Benjamin in 1845 but had children with Henry Prince before 1865, then she married Parish in 1866 but continued until 1873 having children with Henry Prince - I find unlikely.

Next time there is a special on I'll get a copy of this one. Elizabeth is probably a widow.

NSW Marriage 2310/1864 PRINCE HENRY - HOLLOWAY ELIZABETH - MAITLAND

Last edited:
I hope that 1864 marriage has as much detail as this 1860 one, but I have several with very little detail.

GROOM: William Henry POWELL
Place of Birth: Limerick Ireland
Usual Residence: Glebe
Father: Thomas Eyre POWELL
Mother: Elizabeth Mitchell WARREN
BRIDE: Elizabeth Celty SANDS
Place of Birth: Scotland (Dunfermline)
Usual Residence: Living with her parents, Glebe
Father: William SANDS
Mother: Catherine Agnes SWAN
Date of Marriage: 2 Jan 1860
Place of Marriage: Scots Church Sydney NSW
Religion: Presbyterian
Minister John Dunmore LANG (D.D.)
Witnesses: Eyre POWELL, Mary FLETCHER
Birthplace/Age/Parent details were obtained from Church Register No 358.
The consent of William Sands, Father of the Bride, was given to this marriage.
Ref No.: 1860/3

Thanks Val.

That further complicates things. Age at death does not point to 1829, the supposed birth year of Elizabeth Smith.

The tree has to be at least partially in error.

I have the images of the baptisms and there is no maiden name for Elizabeth.

I hope the 1864 marriage is full of detail. It may be until 2 Oct before there are any specials on BDM.

8 x Elizabeth Smith's registered for 1829... which one?

is there any connection to Samuel Laundry?
going back to convicts application to marry - has Elizabeth as 17 and Benjamin as 40... = b 1828

Last edited:
Don't know Val.

Another puzzle.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Tue 1 Sep 1891 p.1
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW SOUTH WALES. PROBATE JURISDICTION.
In the Will of HENRY PRINCE, late of Tamworth, in the colony of New South Wales, Carter, deceased. ... may be granted to WORTHY WALTERS, of Tamworth aforesaid, Bootmaker, the surviving executor in the said will named. ...

Marriage 3155/1864 WALTERS WORTHY B - BROWN HARRIET - TAMWORTH

If that Harriet is the daughter Harriet Prince born 1852 then I can't find marriages that gets her name to Brown.

NSW Marriage 4070/1873 LARDEN HENRY - PRINCE HARRIET - TUMUT

NSW Death 20673/1941 LARDEN HARRIETT - HENRY - ELIZABETH - MARRICKVILLE

Back