• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Honora Hayes died 1862 Victoria

barbarajoh

Staff member
From
Scotland
I have just found a record for this lady who is a relative of mine. Her parents were Edward Hayes and his wife Ann Hunt. The record on A says she died in 1862 at Victoria, parents Edward and Ann and aged 18. Reg 7708 All fits with my family. There was also a brother Matthew born 1842 at Leeds and the father was born Ireland. Ann Hunt was born in Carlton, Yorks to my direct line ancestors George Hunt and Sarah Pincheon in 1817. Ann and Edward married Leeds in 1837 but I lose them after 1851 when they are in Leeds.

Could do with help to see if they all went to Australia.

thank you
Barbara

A possible for the arrival, nationality Irish :rolleyes:

Honora Hayes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Arrival Date: 4 Oct 1861
Arrival Port: Melbourne, Australia
Departure Port: Liverpool
Ship: Empire Of Peace
Nationality: Irish

The image has her on her own..

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. She was born in Yorkshire but her dad was Irish according to the 51 He was born Yorkshire in 41.

Where are her parents? Would appreciate a look in the UK just in case I am missing them and Matthew. But have looked for deaths too. Will go check in case Matthew died too.

Barbara

thanks for that! I searched Trove but didn't find her. Must be doing it wrong somehow.

Barbara

For someone to know them details about Honora, such as parents names etc and to put a death and funeral notice in the papers they appear to have known her well.

For someone to know them details about Honora, such as parents names etc and to put a death and funeral notice in the papers they appear to have known her well.

Yeah, I can't see a family member with her or a possible marriage, interesting point, Gibbo..

Geoff

Could it be that her family were there too? Or would it have mentioned them as being there. Wasn't sure whether the formerly of Leeds meant just her or her parents?

Barbara

Or was the brother there too. But the parents have disappeared. Maybe in another part of Australia?
Sorry just thinking as I go.

Barbara

Oh!

A possibility, he would have arrived about 6 months before Honora..

Matthew Hayes
Arrival Date: 31 Mar 1862
Departure Port: Liverpool
Ship: Star Of India
Nationality: Irish
[Image just has 'ad' for age] presumably short for adult.

Geoff

Edit:
Another possible:

Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923
Matthews Hayes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Arrival Date: 15 Jun 1858
Ship: Rising Sun
[Image says he is a labourer]

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff,
Seems to be a common name in Ireland so can't be sure it is him Would they have thought themselves Irish born in Yorkshire?

Still thinking they all came together. I will keep looking

Barbara

Could it be that her family were there too? Or would it have mentioned them as being there. Wasn't sure whether the formerly of Leeds meant just her or her parents?

Barbara

I read the notice to mean her parents are also in Victoria.

Dave

Depending if you wanted to spend any money on this one, Honora's death cert. might throw some info up. They can be purchased online and you receive a copy straight away. I think they are about $20 dollars.

Food for thought

Illustrated Australian News for Home Readers (Melbourne, Vic. : 1867 - 1875)
Monday 5 December 1870

HaYES. —On the 12th November, at Kilmore, Edward Hayes, Esq., formerly of Leeds, aged fifty-seven years. R.I.P.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60449218?

Obituary but dont mention any family to help confirm if its the right one.
Tho it does say he was born in Ireland and mention him been in Leeds.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/170151952?

YEP! Its him, just found this in the above obit

—the death of an only daughter, young and beautiful—affected his health

Last edited:
Back