• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Honora Hayes died 1862 Victoria

thanks very much Gibbo, my internet has been down today so not been able to get on so nice surprise to see all that info. My first relative in Australia too so quite exciting even if it is not a direct line it is not far out being the sister of my ancestor. will away and see what i can open!

Barbara

Totally unsure about this one.. obit for a Edward Hayes, maybe the son on the passenger list.. will need to be checked more.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/90844147?

The obit is dated Aug 1917:

This looks like that family in 1915. Victoria St., Ironback [from the obit] is about a mile S of Long Gulley. The name 'Hanora' in the image may suggest it's the correct family at least.

Edward Hayes
Electoral Year: 1915
Subdistrict: Long Gully
State: Victoria
District: Bendigo
Residence Address: Victoria st., Long Gully

Last edited:
Obituary but dont mention any family to help confirm if its the right one.
Tho it does say he was born in Ireland and mention him been in Leeds.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/170151952?

YEP! Its him, just found this in the above obit

—the death of an only daughter, young and beautiful—affected his health

This looks like the death reg. Edward Sr.

Edward Hayes
Birth Year: abt 1810
Death Place: Victoria
Father: Edward
Mother: Catherine Quirk
Registration Year: 1870
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Number: 9292

Geoff

Brilliant! good to have his mother's name. thanks Geoff.

Gibbo, can't open the wills either. But although Anne's would be interesting we have lots of info now so thank you very much.

Off to find the son Edward in the UK census. Ann and Edward who is a schoolmaster in 41 are with Anne's parents but no Edward.

Barbara

think Edward 15 with them on the ship may be a nephew. there is an Edward in the 41 and 51 in Leeds with his parents Dennis and Catherine. Dennis born Ireland.

Barbara

think Edward 15 with them on the ship may be a nephew. there is an Edward in the 41 and 51 in Leeds with his parents Dennis and Catherine. Dennis born Ireland.

Barbara

Can't see a death reg. yet. But could be the one that Gibbo found in Trove [1917], matches the address in post #26.

Geoff

Something for the back burner possibly..

There are a couple of Hayes' families in Eaglehawk [about 2 miles N of Long Gully], one of them has an Edward, teacher.

Geoff

Got Ann's will opened finally, had to use another browser :rolleyes:

She left most of her stuff to her grandson Edward Hayes of New Zealand.

Barbara i have saved the will so if you PM me your email i will send it to you.

Looks like back to the drawing board for the deaths of Matthew and try to work out who Edward on the shipping list belongs to.

This might help to find the right Matthew

1906 Ann's obit states..

Their son, Mr. Matthew Hayes, who also died many years ago, was for a long time connected with the Kilmore branch of the Colonial Bank of Australasia as accountant and manager, which latter position, he held about 40 years age.

I think she must have meant this census..

Civil Parish: Leeds
Town: Leeds
County: Yorkshire
RD: Leeds
Sub-RD: North Leeds
ED: 1i; HO107; Piece: 2320; Folio: 189; Page: 21

Dennis Hayes 46 [b. Ireland]
Catherine Hayes 44 [do]
Edward Hayes 12 son
William Hayes 4 son
Ann Hayes 10 dau
James Holehan 29
Bridget Holehan 29

Geoff

This might help to find the right Matthew

1906 Ann's obit states..

Their son, Mr. Matthew Hayes, who also died many years ago, was for a long time connected with the Kilmore branch of the Colonial Bank of Australasia as accountant and manager, which latter position, he held about 40 years age.

If he held that post when he was 40y, he must have died after 1882 :rolleyes:

Geoff

Back