• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

House history?

Hi Benny
We were lucky in that with our deeds, there is a plan of the area at the time the road was built in around 1910. It was a wooded hillside and part of a farm. It showed all the plots of land that were to be sold, and names of people who had already purchased some plots. There was a public footpath across the bottom, no longer there.
On top of this, I was cutting the front grass when an old man drove slowly past. He turned round and then pulled up infront of our house. He asked if I was the owner, and than said he was the first occupant of the house in 1920.
To cut a long story short, we asked him in for a cup of tea and showed him round including the garden as it was now, 300ft long and 'mature', so you can get lost in it. He was able to tell us alot about the history of the area.
dave

duckweed

Loyal Member
The Building Society gave us all the papers involved with our house since it was built in 1932. It lists every owner and their occupation so there's a fair bit of detail there, even price. I also know who were the builders. The company still exists and I've often thought about approaching them and asking if they took photos of the houses they knocked down and building the estate including our house.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ben,
I never actually traced any house histories, but I was fortuneate enough to get all the deeds and bills for a house that I purchased in Bideford in Devon.
It was converted from a coach horse stable in the mid 1800's to a house.
It still had the hay loft access upstairs, and the stable door access but each were converted to windows.
It still had the rings built into the wall of the yard(garden) where the horses were tied up for tacking.

The window for the stable door access was approximately 5ft wide by 10ft high, and arched at the top. I could stand on the window sill, and I still couldn't reach the top of the window with my arms stretched upwards.

It also had more woodworm than you could count. It didn't mention those in the deeds.:biggrin:

Steve.:)

astwood

Searching the history of our old family home Dragon Farm
near inkberrow worcestershire ( home of the archers ) got
me into family history It was built in 1614 my family bought
it off the lord of the manor the marquis of abergavenny i
have numerous maps and deeds and plans of the moat the
farm is steeped in legends about dragons and stuff i think
the older places are the more interesting they become
astwood