• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

House History

ladybird

Can anybody advise me on how I can find out who lived in the house where I was born before we did.
The house was Victorian & my parents moved there in the 1950's so it would be interesting to see who was there beforehand.

Any ideas?

stockpot

Valued Member
Easy enough to do an address search on FmP for censuses up to 1911 but after that you would have to check local electoral register, though that will only give you names of voters, no details of family , occupation etc.
The deeds of the house would have recorded previous owners but I
suppose you passed them on when the house was sold.

Robesur

You have not told us in which country this house is situated, if it is in Scotland then there is a web site at http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/ which amongst other old records includes the Ordnance Survey name books which were prepared at the time of the first OS maps in the mid 19th century. If your property was a significant one then it gives a short description with details of the owner and the tenant. Access to the site is free but you have to subscribe to see the original handwritten sheets. What is written however is in the process of being transcribed and will be available on completion.

This site which has no connection to Scotlands People also includes the Hearth Tax and other Taxes of the 17th to 19th century. I expect that the same records exist for England but are probably still in Record Offices.

ladybird

Thanks for your replies, but it does not help that I do not know the names of the people who lived there beforehand.
We moved from there in the 70's , & it is just interest really.