• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

How can I tell which Church? Who do I ask for more detail?

Hello:
See the attachment for detail.

SO, I have a Baptism record. And I want to actually know what is really in the church record e.g. is the mother really a Delany or another maiden name. Is Kitty a family name for Catherine, etc.

How can I find the actual church? And are there actual photocopies of those records (not the transcription as below) and who has them.

I'm thinking that "Bricane" which I cannot find, may actually mean "Bricknangh".

Any kind soul know the answers? Thanks. Colin

(Click the map to enlarge)

Attachments

Siobhan

Hi Colin.

When I first started my research I sent some money to a parish priest who had access to the old registers... and I never heard a peep from him.

I'm sure not all would behave like that, but that is my one and only experience of making 'donations', and I'm passing it on purely to suggest that this route may not yield anything.

An alternative would be to view the records -- microfilmed copies -- yourself. You can do this through any LDS Family History Center. I think (but please check with the FHC staff) that the film you need is #0979695 RC Parish of Dunkerrin/Barna, Offaly/Tipp. They will make a small charge and order the microfilm for you and you view it at the center.

Best of luck.

Siobhan

Thanks, Siobhan:

I do appreciate any and all replies, including pejay's, but I was not about to send money "on spec" hoping for a small favor. Nor was I going to send 95 Euros, which is the asking price at one place to view and report on one record at one church. Wow!

So, I do have an LDS office in my city, and I will go and see them in the next few days, as you mention. I will double check the Film number.

Thanks, again.

Colin