• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

How did you get 'addicted' to Family History / Gen

woodlander

Valued Member
I realise now I must have missed a post that was removed but at first I thought my post had been mistaken for advertising Dogs For Sale or something!
Please tell me I haven't offended anyone, I thought my starter in my family tree might amuse someone :eek: redf) :confused:

gibbo

Loyal Member
I realise now I must have missed a post that was removed but at first I thought my post had been mistaken for advertising Dogs For Sale or something!
Please tell me I haven't offended anyone, I thought my starter in my family tree might amuse someone :eek: redf) :confused:
No way was it you!! Some jerk had put some advertising crap on here trying to sell perfume. Julie removed the post hence you cant see it but our comments had been left on here. Did you like Julie's joke, the jerk was selling perfume and she SCENT him on his way :2fun: :2fun: :2fun:

gibbo

Grandpop died, 19 years ago.... he once told me in passing that he thought that his family originated in cornwall.... shame he has gone, bet he would have loved to find out about his roots... of course I'v tried lots of medication to get rid of this bug LOL but nothing works, so I just keep going... where will it all end, presumably with my name, date of birth marriage dates and death stuck on a list... somewhere!

malakarose

Hi,
my gramps Spicer was never spoken of. i remember as a kid of about 7 being in Newport Mon. and my mother saying oh my god its Granddad Spicer and taking off in the opposite direction. i didn't known who she was looking at. he was classed as the black sheep as he committed adultery from my Nan. i always wanted to hear more but it was a no go zone. i have given some half hearted tries over the years to find him but with no family i was not sure where to start. got his devorce papers and marriage cert. anyway i have had an op. on my foot and been stuck not walking for3 months so seemed the time was right to have a real go. with the help of you guys you found him for me. of course now i have the darn bug and looking for others AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
thanks guys for all you help and patience
cheers Rosie

malakarose

Hi Jay,
i am try to find the birth of Henry spicer have got the three census with him on.
including 1911. i thought i had found him in Newinton but further searching seems as if it is not the right Henry., they are with other people in the later census. :) Dave helped me with the Census details i have now got. also be stuffed it if i can find his marriage to Mary Emma nee Langdon. begining to think he is an Avatar!! still trying to find the death of Lily Spicer 1915 my fathers younger sister think she died young. Steve found a Lilian but wrong one. still keeps me busy almost nuts as well.
thanks for any brain waves you may come up with.
cheers Rosie

Lynda

Mainly through a friend that was researching her Family History;we got talking about Family History and I said how there were one or two things that didn't quite add up somehow in my family tree.
So we went along to the Family Records Centre and all became clear; I had been adopted, filled in a few blanks I can tell you.
But since then I have been doing both my adopted Parents trees as well as that of my husband's.
Fascinating stuff and quite addictive.

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Lynda...welcome and its a real friendly forum with people who are willing to help...or just have a laugh.
I was braught up in care and have had real trouble over the years finding my family...now that is done i am slowly fitting the jigsaw together.

All the best in any research....Lee.

jay

Valued Member
Hello,
I am stuck on several fronts. My 2xgrt-grandfather, Mark Bowden born in 1820 at Bideford, Devon is as far back as I have got on the Bowden side. My other names: Stretton, Woolliscroft(?), Barker and Hopley(Derbyshire/Staffordshire) have also ground to a halt. I have got my 3xgrt-grandfather, William Stretton(victualler of THe Flitch of Bacon, Wichnor Bridges) and 2nd wife, Julia Barker but have drawn blanks on several initiatives. Any suggestions?

LesleyF43

I started researching after my mum died in 2001,and i found all sorts of info and photos to do with my father,which i had not seen before.I never knew him,as he died when mum was expecting me,and he had always seemed a remote figure,so this was a chance to get to know him.
Of course everything spiralled from there,and i got totally hooked on tracing all four of my grandparents' surnames.The more you find,the more there is to find.It's like a mystery novel,which you will never get to the end of !

somerstown

Valued Member
Mine started with being unsuccessfully adopted and oft being told by the folk who adopted me, "you don't have a family. All YOUR family are dead!" So when I was 45yrs old thought I might as well find out what happened to them. Found my birth family in 17days. That really gave me the bug to search out the family history, warts and all. Bit of a disappointment though to find my mother had died only 10yrs before I started searching, and a sister died only 2yrs before I found my family. I would have looked many years before if I thought that they were still alive.
In 5yrs got my paternal line back to 1688 and was filling out details about their lives. But really wanted to know more about my father. But after 5yrs all I had (and still have) about him was, birth, marriage, death certificates. Employment in 1927, 1937, 1954. Became a bit discouraged and also busy with other matters, so stopped.
Having a bit more time set off on the trail again this year, which was 12yrs after I stopped. Unfortunately many of my papers, certificates, photos and files are now missing. But I am finding the research interesting again. Trying now to get more details of what life was like for my ancestors as well as dates for them. Still seeking info on my father when I get another idea to chase up. Most frustrating thing is folk, who will not answer a letter sent with an sae. No doubt pressure of work is the excuse. I am not able to travel far so try to do most by Internet, Post or telephone.
I am delighted to have found this site and most grateful for the help that has been given to me.

Last edited:

DLI

At the moment im currently unemployed and one of my big passions is reading and i went to my local library at the top of my street to get a few books out and the librarian always has a joke with the free courses that they run there like cooking, scrap booking etc. and he mentioned family history.

So I thought to myself, no-one has done a family tree on either side of my parents lines and I thought id give it a try and that was 2 months ago.
So far I've gone back to 1842 on my dad's fathers side and 1841 on my dad's mothers side, havent touched my mums side yet im still arranging my files but now everytime we talk my dads all excited for what i have found out.
And every time I visit my dad's mum I take my file down with what I've found, and she keeps remembering names.
I love it and i cant stop as its something i hope to pass down when i eventally settle down with a family so they can see where they're from.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I got interested when I found my grans birth certificate and found out she wasnt born a 'Smith'. I had originally thought with a name like 'Smith' there was no chance of tracing anything but how wrong can one be.
On the otherside I had a 'Smith' who turned out to be the easiest of the lot to trace back as he came from a small village and had been called 'Job' and there wernt an awful lot of those.
Still interested for small periods of time as you find out more the last few are harder to find, and where on earth they go in the census years you cannot find them I dont know.
I must say that the detective part of the whole thing is what I really enjoy but only so much as after a while you cannot see the wood for the trees!, if you know what I mean!

Peter

snowydacat

I started about five years ago when my dad started dragging me round local graveyard to look for ancestors he had discovered (never found any lol). But when he died three years ago I wanted to delve deeper and finally got hooked.
I then started on my mums side due to the old story passed down from her nan that they were descended from a Governer of the West Indies. At the point I started I was convinced it was nonsense after I had discovered that our 'scottish blood' didnt exist at all and I am still waiting to find some lol.
Amazingly I have found out that mums great grandad was actually born in Barbados but cant get any records to delve any deeper :rolleyes:
Best bit for me thought was the day in the records office I sat with the vellum that had my 5xg grandads signature on it :biggrin: Due another visit there to see what else they have stored away
Snowy

Flora1966

I started researching my family tree when my last Grandparent died in 2001..I was just curious to find out what her parents names were and it went from there...I try to research everyday if I can..

Jules..