• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

    Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

how do I start?

I have both my fathers and others death and wedding certificates.....how do I start to find out about their parents? I am in Australia although originally from the UK and vist once a year
David Williamson
Hi David
I don't know if there is a quicker way than the way I did it but, depending on your relatives dates of birth, they could be on the 1901 census - I may be putting my foot in it not knowing how old you are!! Anyway, once I got the info from the census this told me roughly how old the relative was and then there are a few websites where you can find out the quarter the person was born in a particular year and then send off for their birth, marriage or death certificate from the Government Records Office. I am assuming that they will send out to Australia, but not too sure.
Ann :)
PS It is a game of patience!!