• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

How far back have you gone?

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi all FHUK members,

How far back in time have you got to?
Who's your earliest ancestor?

Don't forget in Genealogy / Family History you have to prove your ancestry with birth, death, marriage certificates and other official documentation - in other words - Proof. No the internet search on Google is not really good enough.:)

We may even make an award for the "oldest Ancestor" here on the FHUK community Forums......

Let the battle commence .................

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
As I asked the question, I really should answer first.

On my Hallam side I can go back to John Hallam of West Hallam, Derbyshire, England. Christened 26 Dec 1757 to John & Sarah - W.Hallam

I could have information from another living ancestor who has information going back to 1554 Hamlet Toone Though I have no positive proof. :(

All the best,
Dave

Hey it must be wonderful getting as far back as 1450. I seem to have got stuck at 1750 All sides of my tree seem to stop around this date. :(
Like I have said it isnt what I have personally researched, most of my lines I now have 1750's (except the one I really want to trace, :mad: ) and that is firmly stuck in about 1843!!

Tom

The furthest back I have personally traced is a couple who were born in c1666 and c1676. Info taken from their tombstone.

However, I have managed to tap into several royal lines so have all the Tudors in my tree :) As it is a distant relation through marriage I haven't added on all the others - I just liked the idea of having the Tudor's in my tree. lol

liz Stokes

I have got back to 1630 on my mother's side. However, I can't claim to have done the work myself - it was done by a distant relative who is very serious about genealogy and has been doing it for many years. I trust her research but I am aware of the need to check things out for yourself.
liz

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

On my paternal male line, I have got back to c1665 in Suffolk. Another fellow researchers has traced some Suffolk and Sussex lines back to the 1400s.

My Coombs line is stuck at around c1790 when I suspect my 4xgreat grandfather George Coombs was born.

I have got back in London to the 1600s with some lines, and have even found out when and where a few of my French Huguenot ancestors originated within France thanks to the dividens of London's French Churches registers which can give grandparents names.

Ben

Roots

According to Ancestry.com, my ancestry goes as far back as mid-1300s to someone called Evan ap Griffith. I haven't confirmed it or not. It's fascinating to find a possible ancestor which apparently did not use family surnames at that time!

Another side, my ancestry is stuck at 1906, another at 1888, and another at 1837.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Have got back as far as Adam(no date) and Evie or Eveline or Evita(no date).

Sorry, Could not resist.:)

One line back to 1710, another to 1790, but mostly early 1800's.

Quite happy to have got that far in such a short time. But as they say, "now the hard work begins".

Steve.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 2
DaveHam9 Marriages 4
DaveHam9 Births 2
DaveHam9 Marriages 0
DaveHam9 Australia & New Zealand Genealogy Roots 16
DaveHam9 English Genealogy Roots 7