• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

How many of your ancestors served in WW1?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My great grandfather served in WW1 but joined up in November 1911 aged 20, a couple of years before the war. My great grandmothers first husband died in Iraq in 1917 when he was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
My Granny had 4 brothers in WW1, 2 died, 2 survived, 1 wounded. My Grandad also survived, he had 1 brother that didn't. He also had a nephew die.
Grandads brother-in-law died, and no doubt there will be more as I do more research.

Steve.:)

tiddy30

my gt grandfather on my mothers side 3 brothers served in ww1 2 were killed within 3 months of each other and the other came home.On my father's side i have 2 so far that served 1 was killed and the other survived and they were brothers also.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found another one today, my Gt.Aunty Emma Ives, married Arthur Austin.

Their son Joseph Austin b.1896 died 14/08/1916. Flanders.

Private in the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry.

So thats about 8 so far.

Steve.:)

hi everyone ,
My husbands grandfather served in WW1 ,he was killed on 23/04/1917 near Arras,serving with the 18th Manchesters and is buried at Cuckoo Passage cemetery Henninel.
He fought with the Kings Liverpool regt. on the 1st day of the Somme in 1916,the Manchester & Liverpool Pals were 1 of the few divisions that acheived their objective that day when they liberated the village of Motabaun de Picardie
My Grandfather served with the Lancashire Fusilliers in the Med, Egypt and Flandders -he survived WW1 having previously survived the Boer war

ianto73

Valued Member
So far, I've only found one:- my grandmother's older brother who served with the Army Veterinary Service. However, he died in a Military Hospital at King's Norton in 1919 from injuries - obtained where we don't know - and is buried under CWGC in Leicestershire.

DLI

So far just one member

My 2 x great grandfather on my dad's side

his name was Thomas Hammond he died on the 4th April 1918 leaving to his knowledge 6 children and a wife but 6 months later they had a son he never met

he is buried at hedeuville Communal Cemetery and he served in the Royal Garrison Artillery under the 108th seige bty

snowydacat

I have only found records of one on my side and that was ggrandad. There are a few on other half's side but we were particularly interested in Uncle Albert, his ggrandmothers brother. He was killed in Flanders in 1915 and we found his grave there. Talking to his grandmother we realised that no member of his family had ever visited the grave so we made a promise! On the 100th anniversary of his death we will be there at the graveside to lay some flowers from the living members of his family.
Snowy

Strawman

My maternal grandmother to be, married a man called Horace in 1915, he went off to war and was killed in action. After the war ended, she married the man who was to be my grandfather. Although he was wounded in action, he fortunately survived... otherwise I wouldn't have been here today. I have another three ancestors who fought in WWI and they each survived.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My great grandmothers first husband died in action in 1917.

Both grandfathers were int he forces during WW2. One had joined the RAF voluntary in about 1938. He was born in December 1920. William George Thomas Cornwell.