• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Huguenots

katiemay

Hello everyone!
While going back through the English branches of my family tree, I discovered a rather un-English surname among my Lincolnshire ancestors. The name was Desforges - Mary Desforges married my 6x ggrandfather, Robertus Fossett, in Farlesthorpe, LINCS in 1749. It turns out that Mary's grandfather was Peter Desforges, a French Huguenot who came to England in 1681, presumably to escape persecution in France. He was ordained in the Church of England and sent to Tothill, LINCS in 1682, where he was the rector until his death in 1725.
I have done a bit of further reading on the Huguenots and their involvement in the silk industry in London towards the end of the 17th century. This is a facet of English History of which I knew very little ( although I was familiar with the Huguenots ).
I would like to try to find further information out re: Peter Desforges. Anybody have any suggestions of resources I might use?