• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Hunt & Skane/Skein/Skene

Well I have another corker!
John Francis Hunt born Ireland 1854. Found baptism in Oct 1854 Limerick on IGI. Parents John Francis and Ellen.
They appear on Timperly Cheshire census in 1881, where John Francis Jnr my g grandad was born.
John Francis HUNT b1854 Limerick Ireland married Annie SKENE (Skane on census 1881) but listed as Bridget formerly Skane on John Francis’ birth cert? b1857 Ireland – mother Margaret ? -having difficulty tracking her family.
Annie’s mother Margaret born 1822 in Ireland was widowed on the census reports from 1881 when she was living with this family.
Children:
James Henry born 1878 Mornington, Meath, Ireland and died June 1915. Salford Manchester (Folio 8D 51) Married Lavinia Ormerod.(info from Ormerod Family)
Margaret Alice born 1879 Mornington, Meath Ireland
John Francis born 4 May 1882 Altrincham, Timperley, Cheshire
William born 1885 Timperley Cheshire England
Annie born 1890 Lancashire
Walter Vincent born 1895 Prestwich Lancashire

I can assume they arrived from Ireland after Margaret’s birth in 1879 because they appear on 1881 Cheshire census -

1881 census the family are living at Stockport Road (Orchard Place)Cheshire There is also Annie’s mother Margaret Skene (widowed) born 1822 Ireland and Annie’s sister Mary Skene (single) born 1843 in Ireland, listed as domestic servant and a gardener named John Wilson born in Handforth, Cheshire in 1856
John is a domestic coachman.
Census 1891 the family were living at 27 Standly Street Whitfield, Pilkington, Lancashire. John Senior is still a coachman.
Census 1901 John Francis jnr is using the name Frank and him & family are living in Broughton at 12 Scholes Street. John Francis senior is still a domestic coachman. James is not present with the family.
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3727; Folio: 83; Page: 15
Managed to find a baptism for James and Margaret and mother listed as Bridget Skein Hunt. I cannot find anything at all on the Skanes(or alternate spellings) On censuses she is using the name Annie? Don't understand this at all. Cannot find a birth for Mary Skane or Briget/Annie Skane in Ireland and don't know father's name to track that way.
Please help with some fresh ideas on my mystery g granmother with 2 names!
Thanks
Karen:)