• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

i am looking for Christopher Favell 1553 in Burnsall, Yorkshire, England

Paulb

Hi all,

i am looking for Christopher Favell ( name veriance Xpopher ffavell favill ffavill ) Birth record abt 1553 in Burnsall, Yorkshire, England

buried 11 Sep 1588 St. Wilfred's Church, Burnsall

Probate 3 May 1593 Prerogative & Exchequer Court of York,

I am trying to find out who is parents were

any help would be great.

Paul

duckweed

Loyal Member
http://archive.org/details/parishregisterof03burn That would appear to be the whole register for Burnsall.

Trouble is there doesn't appear to be register existing for early entries. Dugdales's visitation of Yorkshire re Christopher Favell hasn't got birth details either.

Only clue I have is an Alice Favell who is about same age as Christopher and from Burnsall. Her marriage is documented apparently. Might be worth looking to see if there is any mention of parents. Then get back to names of Christopher's children as there is usually a specific formula for naming children after parents.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Other thought is to look up under land names ie the manors the Favell or Fauvels owned. I once found family links by looking at land deeds as it mentioned a piece of land inherited by a grandson. You never know your luck.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Suggestion on A.. tree file father is Thomas Favell born 1514 married to Isabel, died 1564 (Isabel died 1563) no sources given.

Also found

Date
03/05/1593
Description
Administration of Christopher FavelL estate had been granted to "Elizabetha Inman de Burnsall" - confirms that his widow had remarried (John Inman)

Paulb

Other thought is to look up under land names ie the manors the Favell or Fauvels owned. I once found family links by looking at land deeds as it mentioned a piece of land inherited by a grandson. You never know your luck.
Hi duckweed, Thanks, re land deeds were could I purchase a copy of Chris favell property deeds. Paul

Paulb

http://archive.org/details/parishregisterof03burn That would appear to be the whole register for Burnsall.

Trouble is there doesn't appear to be register existing for early entries. Dugdales's visitation of Yorkshire re Christopher Favell hasn't got birth details either.

Only clue I have is an Alice Favell who is about same age as Christopher and from Burnsall. Her marriage is documented apparently. Might be worth looking to see if there is any mention of parents. Then get back to names of Christopher's children as there is usually a specific formula for naming children after parents.
hi duckweed, Thanks again.
Does the link take me to Alice favell do have birth date or marriage date husbands name. Paul

duckweed

Loyal Member
IGI parish records for Burnsall give

Alice Favell married 1559 to Henry Ibbotson.

I suppose she might not be sibling but she is the earliest marriage listed. Wonder if Christopher was married at a more important church or where his wife came from?

There seems to be some disparity re Christopher. A historian in 1903 says he was buried in 1630 otherwise all other details re marriage etc are the same. Elizabeth died 1623. Wonder why there are 2 burial dates for Christopher. Are there 2 Christophers that have got confused? Dugdale definitely has burial as 11 Sept 1589. The only 2 children I can find to Christopher are Anthony and Isabel both before 1589. I am inclined to go with Dugdale as date is so specific.

The problem with relying on Dugdale is that families sometimes didn't give correct information to the Heraldic visitation, sometimes it was poor memory and sometimes deliberate misleading to link their family to a more important branch. This was the point of the visitation ie to substantiate their claims but even the heralds got fooled sometimes.

What worries me about Dugdale is 2 different baptismal sites for the family. It could be right. It depends what Christopher was doing at the time.

Paulb

IGI parish records for Burnsall give

Alice Favell married 1559 to Henry Ibbotson.

I suppose she might not be sibling but she is the earliest marriage listed. Wonder if Christopher was married at a more important church or where his wife came from?

There seems to be some disparity re Christopher. A historian in 1903 says he was buried in 1630 otherwise all other details re marriage etc are the same. Elizabeth died 1623. Wonder why there are 2 burial dates for Christopher. Are there 2 Christophers that have got confused? Dugdale definitely has burial as 11 Sept 1589. The only 2 children I can find to Christopher are Anthony and Isabel both before 1589. I am inclined to go with Dugdale as date is so specific.

The problem with relying on Dugdale is that families sometimes didn't give correct information to the Heraldic visitation, sometimes it was poor memory and sometimes deliberate misleading to link their family to a more important branch. This was the point of the visitation ie to substantiate their claims but even the heralds got fooled sometimes.

What worries me about Dugdale is 2 different baptismal sites for the family. It could be right. It depends what Christopher was doing at the time.
Hi Duckweed, Thanks for the reply.

The the historian Harry Speight in his book Kirkby Overblow and district. Being a record of the history, antiquities, folk-lore, 1903 the info was taken from Dugdale vistionation to York , and vitiation continued 03 york, Chris favell pedigree 1666, so must have been a typeo, there are no other Chris Favell of that time, http://wharfegen.org.uk/tng they have his death as 11 Sep 1588 reg 11 Sep 1589
St. Wilfred's Church, Burnsall, & 3 May 1593 Prerogative & Exchequer Court of York, York,
which is what Borthwich archives in york have. Dugdale book has the children James, Anthony and Isabel by Chris favell.

ref land deeds were could I purchase a copy of Chris favell property deeds. Paul

Paul

Last edited:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Yorkshire deeds should be stored in Wakefield land registry archives. There is also the National land registry in Nottingham. Some early documents will be at Borthwick, some National Archives.There is also the Yorkshire Archaeological society who have deed records. Difficult to know who has the necessary information.

Yorkshire Archeaological department have published a number of books such as Feet of Fines (that is what they called transference of deeds in tudor medieval times) They have their own private archives http://www.yas.org.uk/ in Leeds.

I would try contacting YAS and asking for advice on this.