• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

I am new to the group with a brickwall already

Zadok

From
England
Hello I am Chris and I am now at the stage of being a frustrated amateur with a couple of brick walls. The one that is bugging the most is my maternal grandfather Walter Vernon Robinson (or even Vernon Walter) born 1896 (or 1901) depending whether we believe marriage or death certificates (I have copies). Sadly I cannot get close to a positive ID to get a birth certificate.

Family myth has him coming from the East End of London (the docks area) and I know his father Walter was a mariner (I assume merchant service).

The only knowns I have is that he moves to Liverpool (maybe as a child or even adult) eventually marrying my grandmother Mary Ann Duncan in 1925 and is killed on his motorbike in 1938. He was a lorry driver on marriage and docker at death.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Chris Tomlinson

Hi

welcome

to the forum

Can you give any more info re your grandfather. Did he have siblings, what was the name of his wife, what part of London do you think he may have been at?

dave

Hi,

Did your grandad at one time live at Orry Street Kirkdale? This is on a service record for a Vernon Walter Robinson born London examined at Liverpool.

Last edited:
Hi,

Looks like Walter may have been married before.

Marriage - 12 November 1916 - The Parish Church in the Parish of Liverpool

Walter Vernon Robinson age 26 - Batchelor - occ labourer - residence Brook Street - Father Walter Robinson dec'd - occ mariner

Susannah McDonald age 28 - Spinster - residence Brook Street - Father
Thomas McDonald dec'd - occ labourer

Witnesses - - Lyons/Mary Elizabeth Savage

Hi,

It looks as if there are three sets of records for Vernon.

1 - joined 6.8.1914, discharged 13.11.1914, medically unfit.
Gunner 78643 Royal Artillery, born Warwick? London , 22 in Oct 1914 Labourer
Painful riding or drill, refused operation. Discharged to 31 Balm St, Kensington, Liverpool

2 - Joined 21.8.1917, discharged 14.12.1918
No 179892 discharged to 53 Bean St, Toxteth, Liverpool - Married - employer J.B Furness & Co Middlesborough

3 - joined 26.3.1928 aged 38, discharged jul 1929, no longer required
Royal Artillery, territory Army , Sgt No 783567 Driver - born (1894 crossed out) 1889
Discharged to 20 Orry St, Kirkdale, Liverpool. This record is definately his as his marriage to Mary Ann Duncan is recorded plus son Andrew.

Hi,

I have been trying to make out what this place actually is. It has been transcribed as Warwick. Looks like it ends in ich. The only other place I can think of is Woolwich which is South East London, there is a North Woolwich which is the other side of the Thames.

View attachment 1041

Last edited:
Hi Julie
I had another look at the records. I found some info on a poor copy, which I hadn't seen before. It confirms that Walter had been married before to Susannah McDonald, looks like ?? 1916. His 2nd wife was Mary Ann Duncan m 30/8/1925 Liverpool. He had a son Andrew 24/12/1926 L'pool

Also on the 3rd set of records for the TA in 1828, his birth was given as London Middlesex.
I don't know if it means anything, but Walter's discharge papers dated 19Jul1929 came from Royal Dockyard, Woolwich

dave

Last edited:
Hi,

Looks like Walter may have been married before.

Marriage - 12 November 1916 - The Parish Church in the Parish of Liverpool

Walter Vernon Robinson age 26 - Batchelor - occ labourer - residence Brook Street - Father Walter Robinson dec'd - occ mariner

Susannah McDonald age 28 - Spinster - residence Brook Street - Father
Thomas McDonald dec'd - occ labourer

Witnesses - - Lyons/Mary Elizabeth Savage

I cant find anything on Susannah either. I did find a Walter Robinson - mariner with wife Charlotte in 1881 living in Shoredith after that zilch. I've looked at all the Walter Robinsons from 1891 if he's there he's not jumping out.

Hi

welcome

to the forum

Can you give any more info re your grandfather. Did he have siblings, what was the name of his wife, what part of London do you think he may have been at?

dave

Dave

Mary Anne Duncan is the Grandmother I refer to, but I am still trying to absorb the details that have been pulled together by the wise heads on the thread.

Kind regards

Chris

Hi,

It looks as if there are three sets of records for Vernon.

1 - joined 6.8.1914, discharged 13.11.1914, medically unfit.
Gunner 78643 Royal Artillery, born Warwick? London , 22 in Oct 1914 Labourer
Painful riding or drill, refused operation. Discharged to 31 Balm St, Kensington, Liverpool

2 - Joined 21.8.1917, discharged 14.12.1918
No 179892 discharged to 53 Bean St, Toxteth, Liverpool - Married - employer J.B Furness & Co Middlesborough

3 - joined 26.3.1928 aged 38, discharged jul 1929, no longer required
Royal Artillery, territory Army , Sgt No 783567 Driver - born (1894 crossed out) 1889
Discharged to 20 Orry St, Kirkdale, Liverpool. This record is definately his as his marriage to Mary Ann Duncan is recorded plus son Andrew.

Julie

As an ex-serviceman I find it a bit strange that record three shows him a TA sgt after a year - must confess to being a bit confused, but I do thank you for flipping the rock over. Fascinating stuff, my Mum will be stunned.

Rgds

Chris

Back