• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

I can't find where they Link Kemp Teasdale

duckweed

Loyal Member
In 1881 in Sheffield there are 2 apprentice cutlers. Fred Bullivant born 1876 Ecclesall Bierlow and Arthur Kemp born 1863 Maltby Rotherham. They are said to be both nephews of their master William Stringer 1824 Sheffield and wife Sarah (nee Teasdale) Tickhill 1824. Sarahs sister Ann Teasdale 1826 Tickhill is Freds grandmother. I found that Arthur Kemps father was Robert Kemp of Tickhill. There is someone who goes by the name of Robert Jarvis Kemp which attracted me because Ann Teasdale married a Henry Jarvis 1826 Tickhill. I've looked further and found a Joseph Kemp married a Mary Jarvis on the 26th June 1808 in Tickhill. There is a Joseph Kemp and wife Mary in 1841 in Tickhill. This makes Mary born 1780 which makes her a little old for first marriage in 1808 but not impossible but how does Mary Jarvis Link to Henry Jarvis?

duckweed

Loyal Member
Sorry made mistake Arthur Kemp was born 1873 as the census was 1891 in Clarence Street Sheffield. My main problem at the moment is establishing Henry Jarvis 1824 Tickhill before 1851. I have him clearly from 1865 as he didn't change his address between then and 1861 and using that have established him back at Tickhill with his wife Ann and 2 children William and Eliza at Mesh Hill in 1851. Then it gets a problem. In 1841 there are 3 people of the name and age but none of them are at Tickhill, one is deaf so unlikely, another is in Rotherham town with his father but I'm not sure this is right either and the third is an apprentice cutler, which I suppose could be him but he must have been a poor cutler and given it up to go back to Tickhill.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

This Henry Jarvis born abt 1826 occ app. living in the civil parish of Sheffield,
Hundred Strafforth and Tickhill (south division)
Reg district sheffield
Sub reg dist Attercliffe

Class H0107
Piece 1333
Folio 13
Page 19

duckweed

Loyal Member
Henry Jarvis is born Tickhill 1826 and married Ann in Doncaster in 1846. From 1861 till 1883 when he died he lived at 53 Greystones Road Ecclesall Bierlow Sheffield. The only Henry I can get to fit is baptised on 7th May 1826 in Tickhill, father William Jarvis, mother Mary. In 1861 there is a William in his house, just says relative born Nottinghamshire 1785. Could be the same William Jarvis found in Camps Lane (think that should be Campo Lane) as a Groom) but no wife present or else very young 2nd wife Susannah aged 32 and born out of county. If this is Henry's father then maybe the apprentice cutler is the right Henry. Trouble is we have no place name for William. Can't find a William marrying a Mary around 1808, or possibly a little earlier. Can't find a Susannah the right date either so maybe she is a young wife.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

Could the place of birth for William be Ordsall. In 1851 there is a William Jarvis born abt 1786 Ordsall wife Mary born abt 1784 Clarborough Notts
living in the civil parish of Scrooby.

Class H0107
Piece 212
Folio 67
Page 5

duckweed

Loyal Member
Sounds a strong possibility not that far away from Tickhill either. Their Marriage is down as 1808 in Ordsall and then there is the birth of a George in October 1808. No others in Ordsall so maybe that was when they moved away because they have 2 other children that I know of Mary born 1824 in Tickhill and Henry of course.
William does have a sister born in Ordsall in 1786 so not the right age exactly for the 1841 census but then 1841 ages are never that accurate in my experience. Haven't access to 1851 census at the monent so could you fill in a bit more detail please.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
These 2 are from the 1851 census.

Civil parish Gamston
Reg district East Retford
sub reg district Gringley

John Jarvis head age 60 oc ag lab born Ordsall
Mary wife age 58 born Gamston
James age 12 son farmers boy born Gamston

Civil parish East Retford
Sub reg district Gringley