• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

I have a problem with Ancestry search

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have a problem which is making searching for this family very hard. Everytime I put Carscaden in the search it gives me Christian as the surname. Originally I thought this was because I had got all the hits I was going to get, though must admit that a whole family of 12 without any references after 1861 is strange. I found deaths of 3 children through Yorkshire BMD and now have found them in the trade directories in Ancestry next to other relatives. Someone very kindly found them as Cass in Sheffield in 1871 but after that there seems to be nothing except possibly a son back in Leeds and the mother dying in Hertfordshire in 1907. I can't get her in the 1901 census. Has anyone got a non ancestry search that can search for them? Meanwhile I am going back to searching Yorkshire BMD to see if I can find anymore clues.

found these;
martha ann carscacaten christened 2 march 1851 st peters wesleyan nc leeds
william richard carscaden 4 may 1845 same church parents william richard and mary
will have another look suex

send me some names of who you are looking for and i will have a good search later seems to be loads for 1851 and through the census,.got to go out today but will be back on the forum tonite.ps forgot to put i got the baptisms on .l.d.s but they were the only ones apart from one in worcester.suexx

BraisherT

One Carscaden in 1911 census:
CARSCADEN, Frances Jane Head Widow F 44 1867 Pedlar Leeds Yorks
NEWHAM, Frances Daughter Married 1 years F 25 1886 Leeds Yorks
NEWHAM, Frances Alice Granddaughter F 4 1907 Derby Derbyshire

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have William Richard Carscaden born 1845 Coleraine Ireland occupation draper.
Wife Mary Robinson Carscaden born 1824 Torksey Lincolnshire
Mary E born 1857 Leeds
Charles Robert 1860 Leeds
William Richard 1845 Leeds
James 1856 Leeds
Betsy Ann 1867 Leeds
Frances J 1850 Leeds
Henry F 1854 Leeds
John Bullivant 1855 Leeds
There also appears to be a 19 year old Richard with them in 1871 but wonder if the birthdate has been wrongly put and he is William Richard.
On another site I looked at it listed 2 Carscaden in Leeds in 1881 but it doesn't give me access to them.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Yes if its the same Joseph Gott. Gott family were also cloth manufacturers. I know that Charles Robinson Bullivant was a cloth manufacturer. William Richard Carscaden was a linen merchant who married Charles Bullivant's sister. He went bankcrupt later on. I just wondered if there was a link between the Carscadens the Bullivants and the Gotts. It would explain how Charles Bullivant got to be so important so young.

leefer

Loyal Member
Think there maybe a link....but Gott the sculptor was born in Calverley Yorkshire in 1786.....so it seems he wouldnt be the same Joseph Gott...unless he was in his sixties when he married.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I think you're right the artist Gott would be too old I think. There is a Joseph Gott cloth fuller who was born 1823 who has an Irish wife called Frances and a whole lot of in laws who are called Casseardon.

BraisherT

I have William Richard Carscaden born 1845 Coleraine Ireland occupation draper.
Wife Mary Robinson Carscaden born 1824 Torksey Lincolnshire
Mary E born 1857 Leeds
Charles Robert 1860 Leeds
William Richard 1845 Leeds
James 1856 Leeds
Betsy Ann 1867 Leeds
Frances J 1850 Leeds
Henry F 1854 Leeds
John Bullivant 1855 Leeds
There also appears to be a 19 year old Richard with them in 1871 but wonder if the birthdate has been wrongly put and he is William Richard.
On another site I looked at it listed 2 Carscaden in Leeds in 1881 but it doesn't give me access to them.
Ancestry gave me only one in 1881 - a married woman named Julia, but without her husband (only person in the house):
Julia Carscaden
Estimated birth year: abt 1839
Relation: Wife (Head) (Head)
Where born: Worcestershire, England
Street Address: 6 Belfort Court
Condition as to marriage: Married
Registration district: Leeds

In 1891, there are James and Annette, married couple living on own means in Fulham (but James has wrong birth year, so probably not your Carscadens):
James Carscaden 42 b Londonderry
Annette M Carscaden 34

In 1901, William, Charlotte and another William, 38 Linton St Liverpool (birthplaces wrong, but for elimination purposes here they are):
William Carscaden head 46 Dublin
Charlotte Carscaden wife 44 Liverpool
William Carscaden son 13 Montreal Canada
(plus sister in law Ellen Rose and her two children)

Gotta go, more later!
Tamsin

trace

Valued Member
Just had a look at freebmd and notice that CARSCADEN ends around 1885 and with the last birth in 1864... yet CORSCADEN goes on.... Charles Robert in 1860 is registered as CORSCADEN.....

Do we need to look for both spellings? Certainly get more hits in later years with COR ......

BraisherT

Glad you haven't got George in your list...three criminal convictions in 1857, 59 and 61!

Seeing as your Carscaden are Leeds based, I'm wondering if these are yours too. They wouldn't show up on a census as they were only around briefly, poor things:

Lily b1861 d1862 JAS v9b, p216
Eleanor b Sep 1864, d1864 JAS v9b p283
Elizabeth b June 1863, d1863 AMJ v9b p289

duckweed

Loyal Member
Found Julia Carscadden down as Corseadon in 1871 with husband but he is Scottish. Could be related to William Richard though as he trained as a Linen draper in Edinburgh (I think)

duckweed

Loyal Member
Have found Frances Carscadden and her daughter Alice in 1891 and 1911(Leicester in 1911) But cannot find a marriage record. Alice was born about 1886. Frances was already widowed by 1891. Tried Yorkshire BMD and free BMD and nothing. Is there a black hole Carscadens disapear into?