• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

I just joined to find out more about my Grimshaw line.

I am looking for someone who can help me identify a uniform and when it would be worn. My Great, Great Grandfather Henry Grimshaw b-1867 d-1943. He immigrated to the U.S. about 1890-1893 and became a U. S. citizen. The uniform he is wearing looks British.

Attachments

Those look like epaulettes for US cavalry officers!
Thank you. Then that means it could be U.S. I did not think U.S. had that type of uniform. Problem is I cannot find him in any military records. I do not know where to go from here. I will try looking into the epaulettes.

Thank you. Then that means it could be U.S. I did not think U.S. had that type of uniform. Problem is I cannot find him in any military records. I do not know where to go from here. I will try looking into the epaulettes.
I did not realize those are on the shoulders ornaments. Lol.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I did a search for buckles and belts, as well a the helmet......but came up with nothing.

Now you highlighted the belt buckle.....you can see the R. Which, I would suggest V on the other side of the buckle. V.R.= Victroria Regina. And possibly a Victorian dress uniform. But, still cannot place what Regiment. The shield on the helmet is very distinctive, but I still cannot work out the motif.
As for the the epaulettes, is that a Kangaroo.......hard to tell.

The sword, isn't one that's used in the Calvary, as it has no hand guard, and is usually a curved blade. But again, I cannot be certain.

Mounted Police.?

Sorry,not much help.

Steve.:)

Last edited:
I did a search for buckles and belts, as well a the helmet......but came up with nothing.

Now you highlighted the belt buckle.....you can see the R. Which, I would suggest V on the other side of the buckle. V.R.= Victroria Regina. And possibly a Victorian dress uniform. But, still cannot place what Regiment. The shield on the helmet is very distinctive, but I still cannot work out the motif.
As for the the epaulettes, is that a Kangaroo.......hard to tell.

The sword, isn't one that's used in the Calvary, as it has no hand guard, and is usually a curved blade. But again, I cannot be certain.

Mounted Police.?

Sorry,not much help.

Steve.:)
You were of help, thank you. Anything helps.😊

Is there. Possibility this is a police uniform? I know some suggested mounty police which crossed my mind but I would not know how to research that. Thank you.

He appears to be a jack of all trades from beekeeper, realestate agent, to stock market broker. I realized I got his immigration date wrong and my apologies. It was 1888 making him 21 yrs. I am stuck on whether it is a British or U.S. uniform.😔

gibbo

Loyal Member
So no occupation that lists him as a soldier. Is there a date on the photo or any name of the studio who took the photo on the back of it?

Just a suggestion but maybe email the below link and attach the photo and see if they can help. If it is a genuine uniform they might be able to narrow it down to at least whether it is UK or American.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/