• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

I know nothing about my fathers parents!

Inthedark

This is where my search begins. My father was illigitimate, born in January 1925 we know only that his mother was thrown into somewhere dreadful in shame about having a child out of wedlock and my father was put into a kind of workhouse where he grew up in misery. I have no idea how to research his past because I know nothing about his parents. All I know is the name on his birth certificate and it was registered in the Staines area. Can anybody please direct me to anywhere that I could start by looking for his mother? Sadly I cannot ask him or my mother as they have both passed over. I would be so grateful for any help.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Try Mother and Baby homes in the district her son was registered .

http://www.motherandbabyhomes.com/#!the-homes/cvc5

If You know her name ,then you could search births on Ancestry. May not be in the area where her son was born.

At that time there was no NHS ,likely run by a religion .If he was adopted ,then there could be another birth certificate. Adoption was by private means, unless the home took over. If Mother was put in a Workhouse then they should be an admittance record ,hopefully.

Best Wishes
Ellie

Edit-Same for son ,should be an admittance record .

Ellie7

Loyal Member

Ellie7

Loyal Member
By the 1920s, the Staines Union was operating three children's scattered homes at Stanwell, exact location undetermined. They could accommodate a total of 93 children

Ellie

Inthedark

Many thanks to AdamsonE60, you have been extremely helpful with your replies. At least I now know that there are trails to follow. I do know my father was never adopted, he stayed in the place where he was taken soon after birth and eventually served in the Merchant Navy. As for his mother all we have been told is she was a young maid in an Aristocratic house where she was attacked by one of the sons and my father was the result. What a terrible life they must have both endured and what a priviliged world we live in today!