• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Identify a Cottage at Holme Hale near Thetford, Norfolk?

Hello, especially if you are in Norfolk!

I’m enquiring on behalf of a grandson of Frederick George Tilley who, in about 1930 – 1935, bought an old house in Holme Hale near Thetford, Norfolk. The house had originally been two cottages (date of change unknown) and was immediately opposite the Parish Church (C of E) and Frederick George Tilley lived there with his wife.

The Land Registry cannot help with any information as I have been unable to provide the Title Number or an actual address.

I would really appreciate any help with this; perhaps a member knows this village and could have a look.

Ideally, I would like the exact address so that I can establish the date on which they took occupancy, when they left the property (probably between 1956 and 1966) and who inherited on their deaths.

Of course, if anyone should have any other knowledge of the Tilley Family at Holme Hale or the Tilleys / Sills in Hendon, Edmonton or Enfield, I would be very pleased to hear about it.

Regards,
Pam

Researching: Curtis, Dampier, Furzer, Gosling, Hodder & Stembridge
Researching: Bradley, Gaitt, Haycock, Miller, Ray

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

I’m enquiring on behalf of a grandson of Frederick George Tilley who, in about 1930 – 1935, bought an old house in Holme Hale near Thetford, Norfolk. The house had originally been two cottages (date of change unknown) and was immediately opposite the Parish Church (C of E) and Frederick George Tilley lived there with his wife.

The Land Registry cannot help with any information as I have been unable to provide the Title Number or an actual address.

I would really appreciate any help with this; perhaps a member knows this village and could have a look.

Ideally, I would like the exact address so that I can establish the date on which they took occupancy, when they left the property (probably between 1956 and 1966) and who inherited on their deaths.

Of course, if anyone should have any other knowledge of the Tilley Family at Holme Hale or the Tilleys / Sills in Hendon, Edmonton or Enfield, I would be very pleased to hear about it.

Regards,
Pam

Hi Pam,
Go onto google and type in Holme Hale Norfolk, and click on maps. You will see the cottage/cottages on the bend opposite the church, after a bit of roaming.
In Church St. of all places.:)

Cannot get the actual address, but at least you can see them.

If you click on this link, there is an email address to which you could send an enquiry.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/holme-hale-st-andrew/

Steve.:)

Thanks Steve - I've already done the biz with Google but it doesn't get me any closer to the address. I will however try the email link you provided; I will be able to attach an image of the cottage to assist in identification.

Thanks again,

Pam

Hello Steve (p.risboy)

You gave me the link http://www.achurchnearyou.com/holme-hale-st-andrew/ which I have tried on three separate days but each time it has been ‘bounced’. I might try writing a ‘real’ letter (that will be such a shock to my system!)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion,
Regards
Pam

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Steve (p.risboy)

You gave me the link http://www.achurchnearyou.com/holme-hale-st-andrew/ which I have tried on three separate days but each time it has been ‘bounced’. I might try writing a ‘real’ letter (that will be such a shock to my system!)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion,
Regards
Pam

Hi Pam,
Good idea, if all else fails you could have a day out and visit.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

Regards,
Pam

Blimey Pam,
Theres a whole bunch of Tilleys around Thetford, any idea of Frederick George Tilleys father.

Hi Pam,

I've only just joined this forum and whilst having a look round noticed your request. I live not too far away from Holme Hale and could take a look for you when I'm next in that area. I realise this is quite an old post so maybe you've found the name of the property by now but if not just let me know.

Jane

Hello Jane, nice to hear from you.

I'm going to recommend you for promotion!

In spite of receiving several helpful suggestions, I still have not been able to establish the actual address of the cottage.

If you make contact via http://pampics2000@yahoo.co.uk (I hope that I did that right!), I'll send you an attachment showing the exact location and a photo of the cottage as it used to be.

I really do appreciate your offer and my friend in Oz will be so grateful.

Regards, Pam