• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Idle chit chat

ianto73

Valued Member
Where is the man who has the power and skill
To stem the torrent of a woman's will?
For if she will, she will, you may depend on't,
And if she won't, she won't, so there's and end on't.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Where is the man who has the power and skill
To stem the torrent of a woman's will?
For if she will, she will, you may depend on't,
And if she won't, she won't, so there's and end on't.

Aaah, the dulcet tones of a Welsh poet.:)

BREAKING NEWS. UPDATE.

My mate turned up, nearly 2 hours late. Made it our destination, through wind and rain. Had some munchies, and returned in glorious sunshine, albeit the sun was setting.:biggrin:

Last edited:

ianto73

Valued Member
You had sunshine??:biggrin::biggrin: What is this country coming to?:2fun::2fun:
By the way, those words were spoken at two weddings where Officers from a former Regiment attended! So it's true, you don't need enemies with the friends you have!!;);)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
You had sunshine??:biggrin::biggrin: What is this country coming to?:2fun::2fun:
By the way, those words were spoken at two weddings where Officers from a former Regiment attended! So it's true, you don't need enemies with the friends you have!!;);)
Thomas F. Thiselton-Dyer......the Author of said poem. I wonder if he got married.:eek::eek:. His only connection to Wales, is he had some education at Pembroke College, Oxford. And a Curate, to boot.

Bright and sunny today Brian......but the clouds of doom will descend at the 'witching hour'.:2fun::2fun:

ianto73

Valued Member
In a survey 68% thought Haloween just a major waste of time and money, hyped up by whoever? Now I'll be classed as the purveyor of doom and gloom!:2fun::2fun::2fun:
It is actually dry here, with a little sun, so I must have done something wrong because the sun ALWAYS shines on the righteous............which is what I is, as you know!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Please don't fall off the chair laughing, there's no compensation!!:biggrin::biggrin:

ianto73

Valued Member
The Group, 'Peter Paul & Mary' did an album which included a talk about Halloween by Paul. In it he indicated the children were DRIVEN around the neighbourhood, knocking on the doors, and one kid is reputed to have used the words, "What's it to be Pops, the candy or your front window?" I think I still have the LP. Memories, memories, such a wonderful invention!!:biggrin:

ianto73

Valued Member
I never knew I had any 'street cred', you could have told me.:rolleyes:
Typical, last to know anything.me!!:rolleyes: Having been in town this afternoon, I'm not going to knock Halloween, some people look much better tonight!:eek:

gibbo

Loyal Member
It has come to my attention, that 2 certain members(who shall remain nameless, except for Gibbo & Woody) have been making certain remarks about me.

I can't be bothered to go through all the threads they've trashed between them, to give examples.

Steve.:)

You should say thank you to me and Woody :p If it wasnt for us you wouldnt have had this wonderful experience of starting this thread :D

ianto73

Valued Member
The word 'chitty' was used a lot during my army days, off the top of my aging memory, I think it was something to do with pieces of paper for stores requisitions, will try my regimental site to see if I can get a better answer.:rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with idle chit chat, it's a pity programme makers don't use it more often as it can be the best form of humour - because it is real life as we live it. More importantly it brings together a diverse group of people who are very, very good at innuendo which makes me laugh.:biggrin::biggrin: Keep it up good people.:2fun:

woodlander

Valued Member
I agree that chit refers to a piece of paper as in getting a chit or ticket e.g. as a receipt and I conclude that our idle chit chat is indeed just the ticket :biggrin:

gibbo

Loyal Member
For some reason all this has reminded me of something my grandson had said a few years ago.

He was at school and they were saying what their parents and grandparents did. He told what his parents do for a living etc and when he got to me ...
All he said was "Grandma just goes yak yak yak" :eek::2fun::2fun:

ianto73

Valued Member
Children have a knack of saying what is in their minds irrespective of how the parents and grandparents may take it. :rolleyes: My late mother told me to speak my mind and shame the devil? And being a dutiful son, I always have, whether it is right or wrong.:2fun::2fun::2fun:
Wonder what 'idle chat' I can dream up over this weekend!!:biggrin::biggrin: