• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

If you come from Yorkshire...

JMR

Valued Member
...or even if you don't - you may find this web-site very entertaining.
It's the ABIMELECH ANDREWS BOOK 1822 - 1890 and it's rivetting.

http://calverley.info/cal_home.htm from here click Miscellaneous (from the menu) and then Andrews Book.

It's especially interesting how many people he is related to in his close knit community. The little "aside" comments are quite humourous and it also highlights the sadness of multiple small lives lost from diseases eradicated today!

I hope you enjoy it! That's my ironed shirt for work tomorrow completely gone by the board ;-}

Cheers,
Jill

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

http://calverley.info/cal_home.htm from here click Miscellaneous (from the menu) and then Andrews Book.

It's especially interesting how many people he is related to in his close knit community. The little "aside" comments are quite humourous and it also highlights the sadness of multiple small lives lost from diseases eradicated today!

I hope you enjoy it! That's my ironed shirt for work tomorrow completely gone by the board ;-}

Cheers,
Jill
Jill, by now you should know that wearing 'cheesecloth shirts' are the best. NO IRONING.:biggrin:

Steve.:)

JMR

Valued Member
Yes Ben, it is near Bradford and my furthest back Holdsworth rellies had a farm there in Simpson Green, before my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather, William b.abt.1820 moved to work in the mills in Bradford. This is my most frustrating line as I can't get back any further than Charles Holdsworth born abt 1801, or so he is listed in the only census he appears in, the 1841 census. There was no wife listed in that census and a check of the parish records, shows a Susannah Holdsworth born to Charles, a farmer and a Mary in 1838. There is also a burial for a Mary Holdsworth in 1838. The good news is that Susannnah may well have been registered officially, so I may be lucky enough to find a birth certificate for her.

That was why I spent an entire evening trawling the Calverley parish register site last night, in the end I got crosseyed and wanted some light reading so I stumbled upon this journal. I smiled to myself as I thought about how boring a man who jotted down the incidental comings and goings of his community must have seemed to those around him at the time. Yet how fabulous to have it now. How I wish I had a little anecdote about my ancestor from his book, but alas they weren't mentioned as I think that Abimelech wrote about Farsley.

Steve - what can I say, I'm such a slow learner!

Cheers,
Jill

marie44

Cheers,
Jill
what an exciting find for those who lived in that area, to bad we all cant have that good a luck. :biggrin:

JMR

Valued Member
what an exciting find for those who lived in that area, to bad we all cant have that good a luck. :biggrin:
So true Marie44! :D :kissu:

I had relatives living within a 5 mile radius when Andrews wrote the book, I had my fingers crossed that some of mine might have been mentioned, but I guess even that was a fair distance in those days.

Have you heard of the web-site "Twitter"? Well I guess that although Andrew's didn't have a computer, he was actually the first "Twitterer".

Cheers,
Jill

Thank you for sharing
found it very interesting even tho not related to any one
can remember my mother working in Calverley for a while
but with being young at the time,can not remember much of the area