• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource đź“š

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all đź”—

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Illegitimate children surnames - HATTLE, WILSON, ALLAN in Berwickshire

I posted this originally to Rootsweb ages ago and got no replies, so -

I hope there are some learned people here who might help me out with reasons why surnames of two family members changed, and possibly fill some gaps in these HATTLE-WILSON and HATTLE-ALLAN links.

I have a Berwickshire branch of my HATTLE family with at least two illegitimate children who seem to have interchanged surnames as they went through life. They were both born to (unmarried) Margaret HATTLE.

Details follow, but in brief first,

James appears first in 1851 census as James WILSON, but every census thereafter and at his marriage as James HATTLE.

Janet's 1855 birth was registered as HETTLE, and she appears in the 1861 census as Janet HATTLE, and again in 1871, but marries (as spinster) in 1878 as Janet ALLAN.

I can only assume that James’ father was a WILSON, and the family (perhaps to shame the father) gave that surname in 1851, and that Janet’s father wasan ALLAN, perhaps something she found out later in life and the name she wanted to use when she married.

Would this name-switching be usual for illegitimate children in those days?

The background details are
Margaret HETTLE, b abt 1815 in Eyemouth, is found in 1841 (Parish Coldstream, ED8, Year 1841) with her parents Robert HETTLE and Mary (nee WOOD), living at Graden Mains with several siblings. Her age is given as 25. The youngest in the household is Frances, age 2, listed as a granddaughter in 1851 (so possibly a first illegitimate daughter of Margaret?). All are given as born in the parish.

a) James WILSON/HATTLE
In 1851 (Parish Ayton, ED2, Line 16, Year 1851), Margaret HATTLE (age 35) is still with her parents, two siblings, and Frances (transcribed as Francais) age 12 and James WILSON, age 6, given as Granddaughter and Grandson respectively. James’ place of birth is given as Coldstream. Address is Bastterig.

In 1861, the patriarch Robert HATTLE is dead and the head of the family is Mary HATTLE (nee WOOD). Margaret (Daughter) is still there, with James (Grandson), age 16, but enumerated now as HATTLE. (Parish Hutton, ED1, Line 23, Year 1861. Address Hutton Hall Barns). Janet is now also there.

In 1871, Margaret HATTLE is living with her daughter Janet at Blackadder House (Parish Edrom, ED2, Line 3, Year 1871). After finding James with an eleven-year-old son Robert in 1881, I hunted 1871 for any one-year-old Robert born Hutton, and found the family transcribed as James HALLAL in Chirnside with his new wife Jane. (Parish Chirnside, ED1, Line 18, Year 1871)

This led me to his 1868 marriage in Edrom (General register of Scotland 738/00 0008) as James HATTEL (age 23) to Jane MURRAY. Here there seems to be a mix-up between his parents and grandparents. His father is given in the marriage register as Robert HATTLE (his grandfather) and his mother as Margaret HATTLE (correct), followed by maiden surname of WOOD (his grandmother was Mary WOOD). Having grown up without a father in the household of his grandparents, he could have been a bit confused about his heritage? This is definitely the correct James HATTLE - there are no other James’ in the same vintage or vicinity in previous or later censuses. And he cannot be the son of Robert HATTLE and Mary/Margaret WOOD, who married in 1813. Mary/Margaret (I believe these are often interchangeable) would have been at least 52 when he was born.

James continues to be HATTLE in 1881 and 1891.

I have yet to find his birth, either as James HATTLE/HETTLE (or variation) or as WILSON around 1845. Being illegitimate, perhaps it was not registered?

b) Janet HATTLE/ALLAN
Janet HETTLE’s 18 June 1855 birth (GROS 745/00 0016) in Crossrigg, Hutton only gives her mother’s name, Margaret HETTLE, age 35, servant, b. Eyemouth. No mention of the father.

Janet HATTLE (age 5) appears in the 1861 census as granddaughter of Mary HATTLE, in the household with Margaret (45) and 16-year-old James. (Parish Hutton, ED 1, Line 23, Year 1861)

In 1871, it is just Janet HATTLE (age 15) and her mother Margaret (56 - poultry keeper) at home at Blackadder House. (Parish Edrom, ED 2, Line 3, Year 1871). On the same census sheet happens to be a James ALLAN, who is unlikely to be Janet’s father, being 34 and thus some 20 years younger than Janet’s mother, but showing ALLAN family in the area.

In 1881, mother Margaret HATTLE (65 - henwife) is alone at Blackadder Mount Home Farm (Parish Edrom, ED 2, Line 25, Year 1881).

However, Margaret HATTEL is given as mother (no father listed) on the 6 December 1878 Blackadder Farm, Edrom marriage of Janet ALLAN (spinster) to John RUSSELL (GROS 738/00 0009).

So why would Janet go through her childhood as HATTLE, only to marry under the surname of ALLAN?

Maybe someone researching WILSON and ALLAN families in Berwickshire might have some insight into these cases.

Any ideas?

Regards

Alan Hattle
(ggg grand-nephew of Robert HETTLE and Mary WOOD)

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Alan

Welcome to the forum, as one of our Scots friends once said, a married woman in Scotland could use her maiden name through out her marriage,this could be your answer.
However, I just did a search on Scotland's people and nothing came up for a marriage. I looked at the England records too, but couldn't find one there either. May be one of our Scot's friends have acess to other records.

Amanda

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Alan, I have found in my husband's family in the Borders that they could change their name from census to census. I have a George Pringle who was George Scott in some census and George Pringle in others. His father was supposed to be George Pringle Hughes so I have stopped trying to see the sense in it. But his mother married a Scott and he was sometimes Scott but when the Scott died he reverted back to Pringle. I think they changed surnames as they wished.

Often it is the only clue you have as to the parentage when they are illegitimate.

Doesn't help much. And I am afraid I have seen a lot of people lying on their marriage record to make themselves seem respectable.

Barbara

Ellie7

Loyal Member
You can change your name anytime, as long as there is no fraud involved. Either my deed poll ,or without.

Ellie

Edit-Janet's 1855 birth was registered as HETTLE, and she appears in the 1861 census as Janet HATTLE, and again in 1871, but marries (as spinster) in 1878 as Janet ALLAN

This looks like it was mistranscribed.
Name:
Janet Hettle
Birth Date:
18 Jun 1855
Birth Place:
Hutton,Berwick,Scotland
Mother:
Margaret Hettle
FHL Film Number:

-----------------------------
Name:
Mary Hattle
Estimated birth year:
abt 1794
Relationship:
Head
Where born:
Coldingham, Berwickshire
Registration Number:
Registration district:
Hutton
Civil Parish:
Hutton
County:
Berwickshire
Address:
Huttonhall Barns
ED:
Household schedule number:
LINE:
Roll:
CSSCT1861_137
Household Members:
Name
Margaret Hattle 45
James Hattle 16
Janet Hattle 5

----------------------------------------
Name: James Hattel
Spouse's Name: Jane Murray
Event Date: 18 Sep 1868
Event Place: Edrom,Berwick,Scotland

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11738-1 , System Origin: Scotland-ODM , GS Film number: 6035516

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
This led me to his 1868 marriage in Edrom (General register of Scotland 738/00 000 as James HATTEL (age 23) to Jane MURRAY. Here there seems to be a mix-up between his parents and grandparents. His father is given in the marriage register as Robert HATTLE (his grandfather) and his mother as Margaret HATTLE (correct), followed by maiden surname of WOOD (his grandmother was Mary WOOD

That is to hide his Illig. Nothing new there .

Ellie