• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Im a real idiot

gibbo

Loyal Member
Just over 2 years ago i was given a name of a young aboriginal boy that my hubby's ancestors took in and raised. This young fella was killed in WW1 and i did look up his army records but never saved them. I do remember my hubby's ancestors were noted as next to kin. I also had his name in a note pad which has since been misplaced. I now cant remember his name therefore cant find his army records again to save them and to try to find anything else out about him.

Hubby just rang his elderly cousin who told us about this boy and she doesn't remember anything about it:eek: And she appeared to be the only one in the family who knew anything about it. I have to find him or he will be forgotten.

And im a idiot for not keeping a proper record on this young fella.

joaning

Loyal Member
Hi gibbo, That's a shame, we have all done similar at some time.
I know I have. Maybe there is some way you can put in the next of kin's name, and find out who they were next of kin for? Sort of reverse searching?
Hope you can come up with something, or maybe someone else can.
Joan:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
Dave my memory is bad as the elderly aunt's at times:rolleyes:

Joan i have tried with the ancestors names and nothing for the fella turned up.
I know its there cause i have found it once before .... but then i had his name:rolleyes:

He didnt take their name on he kept his own last name. There was also letters in the army records from this family and the army over his belongings. The family wanted his belongings and the army wanted his mother's name etc the family said his mother has died and they were his guardians etc etc etc etc.

I do remember "talking" to Lee on the forum about it once but i cant find that thread. Looked for it on the off chance i posted his name on there:rolleyes:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Was it a topic you started or one leefer started? Can you remember any 'key' or uncommon words that might be in the topic? Any idea what year he died or where?

gibbo

Loyal Member
Was it a topic you started or one leefer started? Can you remember any 'key' or uncommon words that might be in the topic? Any idea what year he died or where?
Im pretty sure it was one i started about been on holidays and finding all the ancestors headstones and stuff i think:confused: That holiday was in Oct 2009 and i could find threads on a few things but nothing mentioning this fella:rolleyes: Or then again it might have been another thread and we just got sidetracked:rolleyes: Yeah i know im painful:(

gibbo

Loyal Member
I GOT HIM!! :biggrin:

Wilfred Clayton - 5th on that list. Thank you so much for that link Joan:biggrin:

Got to love this forum:biggrin:
Thanks everyone.

joaning

Loyal Member
I GOT HIM!! :biggrin:

Wilfred Clayton - 5th on that list. Thank you so much for that link Joan:biggrin:

Got to love this forum:biggrin:
Thanks everyone.
My pleasure:biggrin: first time I've been able to help someone, normally I'm too slow:D I'm happy now!! joan:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
And i wont lose him again neither.

The army records are the only insight i have into his life. No birth reg and as he died overseas no death reg.
I dont usually go this far off the direct line of a family but this young fella has my interest. If i think they have a story to tell i will see what i can find on them.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Just in case you haven't got this Gibbo.

From CWGC.

Name -CLAYTON, WILFRED
Nationality: Australian
Rank- Private
Regiment/Service-Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
Unit - 41st Bn.
Date of Death. 09/03/1917
Service No: 2008
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 2.
Cemetery: CITE BONJEAN MILITARY CEMETERY, ARMENTIERES

Now off to the Wally corner please.:2fun::2fun:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Gibbo.....any pics of Wilfred that you know of?

Hi Lee. No pics that i can find. I have a book here with the Laycock family history and lots of pics on the ancestors and mentions on different ones but not one bit of info on Wilfred. Still looking tho:biggrin:

gibbo

Loyal Member
I found a will for Wilfred's "adoptive" father. He died in 1914 a couple of years before Wilfred did. Wonder if it might have something in it, or even mentions Wilfred. I might order it this week and see whats in it.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Just been talking to the QLD state archives and they are going to see if they can find anything on Wilfred and that it might be months before i hear back from them cause of a back log. They also said that unless he was under the Aboriginal Protection Act there may not be any info on him and if there is they are limited in what info they can give me as im not a direct descendant and i dont have his next of kins permission to obtain it.