• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

immigrants via Hull

Hello Everyone,

My name is Viki and I've only recently joined the forum so forgive me if I'm asking a question previously answered elswhere.

I am currently trying to research my Fathers family and have hit a bit of a brick wall. I have found his grandparents: Morris Heller and Minnie Krafchuck and the family is easily tracable from 1901 onwards. My difficulties lie in piecing together their life before that time.

They are both Eastern European Jews who entered the country sometime between 1891 and 1901. Family stories tell that they entered via Hull and then headed over to Liverpool where much of the family carried on the journey to America. This is well trodden path for Jewish transmigrants of that time so makes sense. Morris and Minnie clearly got diverted and remained in Liverpool after brief interlude in Leeds (goodness knows why they went to Leeds!).

I am keen to trace their origins further. Family legend says they, or at least he, were from Georgia but I have no proof. Passenger lists in through Hull seem non existant but not sure if I'm looking in the right place so any pointers welcomed. I currently live in Kent so a long way from Hull, Leeds, Liverpool or any actual physical records that may be useful. I'd appreciate any tips before making wasted and fruitless journies.

Thanks for any help
viki