• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Impish Lincoln.

leefer

Loyal Member
Never have seen Lincoln Cathedral close up...delivered to the City last week during the Snow and what a delightfull hour i spent looking at the Cathedral and surrounds while my lorry was unloaded.
Not the most pretty of Cathedrals but one of the most impresive with regards the carvings and ornate stonework....the cathedral has many imps carved inside and out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Imp

Once again apologies for the size of the photos...just cant seem to sort that problem out....but hope you like the photos anyway.

Showing the City wall which is built around the cathedral...impresively high.

Victorian terraces still looking really smart...in a street not far from the Cathedral.

The Strugglers Inn pub...prisoners were hung on this spot hence its name.

One of many ancient buildings in the close quarters near the Cathedral.

And another...old pub.

Poor photo but an Imp on the archway leading to the hallowed ground.

Some shots of the Cathedral

And below a shot of the Deanery and Vice Deanery buildings outside the Cathedral in the ancient quarters close by.

A cup of hot tea and a Lincoln pasty from Curtis of Lincoln was had.....they were an old bakery which also are a pork butchers.....and sold old style pork dripping.
Obviously i had a tub and can confirm that proper dripping is still out there in some places....delicious on toast though Donnami was not impressed:

Regards to you all........as always....Lee

jay

Valued Member
I really enjoyed looking at the photo's Leefer as they brought back memories of a visit to Lincoln when I was a student. Did you find the imp high up in the nave / chancel. I thought that the city was fascinating and some lovely old buildings in a good state of preservation. Thank you. :kissu:

leefer

Loyal Member
I did see that Jay...it was to dark for photos inside and also i think they frown on photos inside.
A funny episode outside was me standing directly outside the main doorway looking up.....a little old lady with her dog patted me on the back and says .....dont worry dear,its not going to fall down:2fun:

jay

Valued Member
I did see that Jay...it was to dark for photos inside and also i think they frown on photos inside.
A funny episode outside was me standing directly outside the main doorway looking up.....a little old lady with her dog patted me on the back and says .....dont worry dear,its not going to fall down:2fun:
That's odd because when I was there I was standing in the town with others in a group looking at a house with two figures carved under the eaves, one each end. One was a man and the other a woman ... an elderly man came up to me and said that they were King Richard and his wife. I assumed Richard 11 as they were too late for Richard 1 and too early for Richard 111. Did you see anything like that?

leefer

Loyal Member

This is an image(google) taken from a highpoint.....as i say it is hard to get a whole image close by.
Didn't see that carving Jay as i was rushing about somewhat but i was suprised how quaint and nice the surrounding streets were....lovely old cobbled streets as well.

Last i heard was they were digging up King Richard from a Leicester city centre car park............the council are billing him for 400 odd years of unpaid parking tickets!:2fun:

jay

Valued Member
Walking up the hill to the cathedral I remember passing a stone - built house known as the Jew's House; during the Middle Ages there was a large jewish community in Lincoln until Edward 1 expelled all the Jews from England circa 1295.

RE: Richard 111, really looking forward to the documentary on the excavation which should be televised soon. :)

leefer

Loyal Member
Watching it now!!

It was him they reckon......the hunch back king.
The curve in his spine was amazing.........the DNA matched his modern day descendants by all accounts.

Personally something is telling me that something somewhere just isnt right.......Pilton Man and all that:)

If i am wrong then...........LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jay

Valued Member
I think that it has been proved to be Richard 111 beyond all reasonable doubt and the likeness between the portrait and the reconstruction was striking. The clincher has to be the DNA though. What do you think is wrong somewhere?

Hope he is buried with due honours in York where he was held in high esteem during his lifetime. :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I watched the Tv prog last night, and what a stroke of luck to come straight down on his bones and burial.

What I did find amazing, was what one of the Richard 111 'believers' in America, who made the comment that.....'Richard 111, had nothing to gain from his two nephews(Princes in the Tower) deaths'. Is that blind faith. or what.:2fun::2fun:

I suppose the great debate, as to who wants to keep his bones, will be between Leicester, York and London.

In my opinion, he was buried in Leicester for 500+ years, so perhaps he should remain there.
York & London has enough history to them, so let Leicester take some limelight.;)

Steve.:)

jay

Valued Member
Looks like Leicester Cathedral shall have the honour. As for the
comment "nothing to gain" ... the deposition of Edward V effectively signed his death warrant as few monarchs have survived the loss of their throne and lived. James 11 springs to mind as he was allowed to escape after William's invasion as Parliament didn't want to face another king's trial.

Whether Richard ordered their murder is open to conjecture ... innocent until proven guilty. If guilty why did Henry not accuse him in the Act of Attainder? All sorts of crimes but that.

Brilliant research and a fascinating programme. Wonder where Boudicca is. :)

leefer

Loyal Member
Still a bit of me not sure........that body was a long way down for a long time and i reckon my back might have been put out a bit in that situation:biggrin:.....as for the DNA they havn't shown the evidence yet.........

I hope it is him and he will be buried in Leicester......that is my hunch anyway:2fun: